To Pillage or not to Pillage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bongo
    Armies will heal in hostile territory even before battlefield medicine.
    Thanks Bongo. Now that you mention it I seem to recall something about that. Even so I've had armies shelled to yellow and think it's best not to ignore bombard units when on a pillaging mission.
    The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Anatole France

Comment

Not sure about the rate, I think it is 4hp per turn in friendly/neutral territory but I don't remember what it was in hostile territory.
      Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
        Armies will heal in hostile territory even before battlefield medicine.
        I can't say as I have noticed this, but they should not. Without Battlefield no units should heal in enemy lands.
        Last edited by vmxa1; June 22, 2004, 19:31.

Comment

They can and should in C3C, IIRC.

Comment

Why should they exactly? Armies already are too strong, why add that above regular units?

Comment

Well, to play the devil's advocate, I would imagine that (before Battlefield Medicine) Armies heal in enemy territory due to the idea that they are an "Army" and would have field medics/field hospitals (ie, M.A.S.H.) available to them...
              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Of course, I just realized that a M.A.S.H. unit would be the same as Battlefield Medicine. Oh, well you know what I mean!
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I had the AI attack my army just today. Of course it was badly damaged and in the red. But it still survived- with like 1 hitpoint left.

Also I've come to know the joys of bombarding terrain my last game. Unfortunately I forgot to take a screen shot. Well I was the only one with a navy. I was playing a tiny map. I was pretty much the only one with bombers as well.

I literally tore up nearly every single square of Aztec terrain. Mostly with battleships, but some with bombers. There were craters everywhere. Ahh, the pleasures of destroying terrain. How I love it.

Comment

Did some checking on armies and healing. They will heal with 4hp per turn when in friendly/neutral territory and 3hp per turn when in hostile.

I don't know if battlefield medicine increase this rate, haven't built one of those in a while(ptw?)

Comment

I'm with you on that Dissident. I love cratering the enemy's precious farms and roads. HA HA HA Spend more hard earned tax money and fix it, so I can bomb it again!!!! HA HA HA
                      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

yep, I love it. It's great for when you are at war with civs on other continents and you have no intention of taking their cities.

And the types of maps I play make it especially nice. I usually play the smallest continent setting. So the continents are fairly thin. Often you will find strategic resources near the water. And battleships can bombard 2 squares in.

I love severing strategic resources. I also sever luxery resources and bonus resources.
                        Last edited by Dis; June 27, 2004, 22:46.

Comment

And a great use for an overpowering air force of bombers...I enjoy strategic bombing! Also, a reason to build carriers which is a big plus for Civ3 over Civ2. I never built flattops in Civ2.
                          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

If i'm laying siege to a big city I'll pillage the roads so they won't be able to build resource specific units. If they have a Harbor I also bombard the city hoping to destroy it before attacking.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

Just got a nasty idea for a pillage army...I happen to have a nice little patch of former persian territory. I don't intend to keep it but I would like to remove all those roads and stuff before I leave. How about putting together a pillage group with strong defenders and some heavy artillery. Bombard everything in sigh except the tile you intend to use next turn. Move on to that tile next turn and repeat the process Not only will the tiles be without improvements, they will also have to be cleared of damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X