Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrr!!!

I can't belive it.
    While deinstalling some older games, I also deinstalled Sierra Utilities.

And by doing that, it automaticly deinstalled both Civ3 and Neverwinter Nights.
    Grrr!!!

Can't belive it happening, considering that Sierra is in no way related to these two games.
    (maybe some bug in deinstaller?)

Grrr!!!

All those lost saved games.

Ouch. Did you use the Windows control panel for removal or another program?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

control panel

I have no idea what got wrong.

Comment

Holy crap!
        Thanks for the warning. Sierra and some others like to get their hooks into our PCs and software. I had no idea how deep those hooks were.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

death to Sierra

Comment

Some of these programs just think that they are god. Or rather their programmers do.

Anyone that is patient enough can unpick that kind of crap from the system (-sigh- another trip into regedit ). Others can just take pot luck.

Comment

Actually, I had the same happening with Pharaoh and Emperor: RotK (Sierra stuff or related, too). Either of them automatically uninstalled the other one first... I found a workaround on the Sierra support pages (clickable link, should bring the relevant answer up).

Comment

I've never seen anything like that happen before.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by vondrack
                  Actually, I had the same happening with Pharaoh and Emperor: RotK (Sierra stuff or related, too). Either of them automatically uninstalled the other one first... I found a workaround on the Sierra support pages (clickable link, should bring the relevant answer up).
                  Yeah, I have the same problem.

However, I don't think that (duplicate installation strings) is what's happening here. If it was, Sierra Utilities would have brought up the uninstallation of the other progs it uninstalled when it was first being installed. I think this is probably just an issue with the programming of Sierra Utilities...

Comment

They would be unlikely to have a walkthrough on the issue if they didnt know of it being a "feature" of their software.

Comment

this may be a silly question, but did you check to see if it deleted the save games folder? I don't think all programs remove everything at uninstall..maybe?
                      While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

The thing is that action of uninstalling Sierra uitilities deleted almost everything, including saves.

Some files did remained, but I think that those were patch leftovers.
                        Also, option to deinstall Civ3, Conquests and NwN stilll remained in add/remove programs (later I removed it too, in order to do clean install).

Comment

that is a real shame old chap

/me passes Player 1 a coke

some companies do go to ar in what the attach their programs too....
                          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Ouch! That's why I store my precious saves not in the games directory, but in a special folder in My Documents, which I back up (errr... or at least I should... ). Learn from it . Anyway, Civ3 is not a big deal, but that NWN is lost is really a shame

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                              Anyway, Civ3 is not a big deal, but that NWN is lost is really a shame
                              Best joke of the week!
                              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                              X