Hate C3C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hate C3C

I hate the riduculous corruption and I hate the way Wonders are no longer worth bothering with.
    Setting your most productive city producing a wonder and then 'losing' it for the rest of the game while it builds it, is not my idea of fun.
    The Forbidden city, which also took most of the game to build, seemed to have no effect.
    Yes, I have the latest patch.

My questions. Is there any mod/cheat to solve these problems?
    I looked at Double your pleasure, but it is too complicated to install.

Is PTW any better from these points of view?

Alternatively, is there any WW2 scenario that is easy to install and actually works and doesn't take two hours to install?

I admit I am being lazy by not wading through all the forums.

Thanks.
    " There are no scientific facts, only historical ones and they are all biased."

Re: Hate C3C

Originally posted by Biggles
    I hate the riduculous corruption
    Then just change the corruption amount in the editor. It's that easy!

... and I hate the way Wonders are no longer worth bothering with.
    Setting your most productive city producing a wonder and then 'losing' it for the rest of the game while it builds it, is not my idea of fun.
    Not sure what you mean by this....

The Forbidden city, which also took most of the game to build, seemed to have no effect.
    Yep, the toning down of the Forbidden Palace was a new thing introduced for Conquests - it's much more effective in Play the World. The problem was it gave TOO much of a benefit to the player, who could properly decide where best to put it for a huge benefit. Many players supported the idea of the downgrading, and it is apparently now working how the original idea was supposed to. You can always try Play the World again (included and installed for free along with the Conquests CD) for the over-powered Forbidden Palace.

This should answer a number of your questions, at least.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I hate the riduculous corruption and I hate the way Wonders are no longer worth bothering with.
      Not sure why you even notice the corruption. I pay it little mind.

If it is taking you forever to build a wonder you are doing itin a city that is to unproductive.

Be sure you have nearly all your tiles in that city producing at least one shiled. Some need to be doing 2 shields (bonus grass or hills).

Next the city should be a core city so corruption is not an issue.

Last get the city up to size 12. Add in workers if you have to to increase the production.

Later in the game you need to have a plant of some type, coal if nothing better is available. Then a factory and you should be cranking down wonders quickly.

You can also do a prebuild for key wonders that you feel you really need to have. In a city other than the capitol, the palace works great.

Comment

Alternatively, is there any WW2 scenario that is easy to install and actually works and doesn't take two hours to install?
        If by WW2 you mean the WHOLE world with an accurate selection of key nations and all the modern units involved then I'd say no.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I want a ww2 scenario with Brazil in it.

looks like I'll have to make it myself.

Comment

if u hate the game so much then why do u play it?
            Kermit the frog

Comment

because he bought it.

It's only natural to play a game you paid money for. It's only natural to expect the game to be good.

Personally most of those issues are not a big sticking point to me. But they may be to someone else.

As for building wonders. I find I can build many in 50 or 60 turns. I was even able to build Copernicus and Theory of Everything and build a library, marketplace, unveristy, bank and other major buildings in that city. And all this before I reached the halfway point of the industrial age. I even have a factory built in this city now. And I think this city also have 1 or 2 more wonders in it. Although I admit this game is only on Regent. Doing this on the higher levels may prove to be impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit_the_frog
                if u hate the game so much then why do u play it?
                Asked myself the same thing everytime I pull out MOO3.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I looked at Double your pleasure, but it is too complicated to install.
                  Why that? It's a single selfextracting file - though I strongly recommend to play the 2.02 version for ptw. This will effectively help when you want lowered corruption.

Btw, a lot of players coming straight from Civ2 hate the corruption, but after some games you'll like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    because he bought it.

It's only natural to play a game you paid money for.
                    I have hundreds of games that I bought I don't play. I don't think that is a good enough reason to play a game I don't like. Life's too short for that.
                    Seemingly Benign
                    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. I have lots of games, I gave away after trying them and many more I have that I don't dislike, but do not like enough to play.

Comment

I try not to buy games I don't like or know I won't like.

Though I have made a few "mistakes" Sim Golf. Black and White. Star Wars Rebellion.

Comment

Rebellion was the name that came to mind on giving them away. I gave that away three times and everyone gave it back.

It is easy to buy a game that turns out not to be to your liking. I loved Age Of Wonders, bought AoW2 and could not get into it.
                          I recently bought the add Shadow Magic and still could not get into it. Now I have both and have not played much.

Lots of people love the game andI should, but I don't.

I used to want to try all the RTS games that came out and bought many of them and tossed them:

Fragile Alliance, Cyberstorm, Liberation Day, Domination, Imperium Galatica I and II, Hive, Mortal Combat III.

I could go on. Others I have not even tried are like Yuri's Revenge, I loved the original and probably would like this one, but just have not gotten to it.
                          Warcraft III, I finally got one campaign done after all this time.

This does not count the RPG's I could not play because of the motion sickness. The same for the FPS I have bought.

Funny thing Forsaken was the only one that did not get me dizzy.
                          I first noticed it with Quake II. I was having a blast and all of a sudden got so dizzy.

Comment

Thanks people for not flaming and being constructive.

As you can see from my registration, I have been playing the Civ series of games for over thirty years, so I am ancient and not as quick as I was was.
                            I enjoyed Civ 1 2 and 3.
                            I like this type of game because it keeps my mind active....I think.
                            I don't enjoy Conquests as much as Civ3 but I thought I would give it a fair trial.
                            I am quite shocked at my first experience of it. Hence the provocative post.
                            I have not tackled the Editor yet. At first glance, it does not seem very intuitive to use. Can you change how thw whole game plays? Or just a single game that you invent?
                            Forget that. I will search for the relevent threads.

As for building Wonders. I can build them in 40/50 turns but there is now no way of speeding that up.
                            I hate having my most productive city occupied that way, for that long, early in the game.
                            " There are no scientific facts, only historical ones and they are all biased."

Comment

As for building Wonders. I can build them in 40/50 turns but there is now no way of speeding that up.
                              I hate having my most productive city occupied that way, for that long, early in the game.
                              ...then perhaps you shouldn't build early game wonders.

Personally, I'm really tempted to go for the Pyrs; they can have some awesome capabilities. But really, I don't think you should risk it unless you have a good location to do it and some resources to spare. As for the other ancient wonders, they're nice, but nothing special. Consider waiting for the middle ages before building wonders.

Also, have you tried pre-builds? The palace gets quite expensive once you found enough cities, and you can assign a city to work on the palace before you ever research the tech with the target wonder, switching the build to the wonder once you discover the prerequisite tech.

You can also use another wonder for a pre-build, but that's not so secure, as you'll lose your pre-build and need to find another one if someone builds that wonder

Comment

Working...
                              X