Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can I not trade?

I've had this before,
    I have a harbor, resources, ocean connections to other civilizations. (gallies can pass the ocean-gap from shore to shore) but I'm not able to trade with anybody.

All other civs have map-making as well for years, thus I suppose they have harbors as well.

What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Files
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

havent checked ur save,

but a trade route can only exist IF there is no Dangerous sea tiles between u and the other CIV. (dangerous being their is a percantage chance that ur ship would sink if ur ship ended the turn on that tile)

so even though your galleys can safely traverse the ocean tile crossing, Your trade route cant untill u discover navigation (and magnetisim) if im correct.

Comment

Nah, in past games I could trade over those 'gapes'

Comment

Mr Justice is right.

You don't know Astronomy, so you can't trade over sea or ocean tiles (unless you have the Great Lighthouse, in which case you can trade over sea tiles).

Comment

Oh well, now I can trade with the Chinese, I suppose they got the GL in that case.

Comment

Mapmaking only allows you to trade via coastal squares. To trade over sea and ocean squares, you need astronomy and navigation (not entirely certain about actual techs, but the point is that there are certain techs which enable to trade).

Finally, there's a possibility that trade may be cut-off via war. This is particularly evident when you're still unable to trade via ocean tiles, and are relying on the belt of coast/sea tiles between coastal cities.

Comment

I knew about that, but in the past I always used to be able to trade quiet early in the game....
              that's what bothered me most.

Comment

One small correction to what Mr. Justice posted: it's Navigation or Magnetism that allows travel/trade over ocean tiles.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                  I knew about that, but in the past I always used to be able to trade quiet early in the game....
                  that's what bothered me most.
                  As ever, post a savegame and we can see for sure...
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

for the correction Solomwi

GL will affect a Civs ability to trade. you wont be gaurenteed the ability to trade Navigation or Magnetism. there is big difference between pangea maps and Archi maps regarding trade routes. with large landmasses trade is available much quicker due to roads. mabey this is the difference?

Comment

Re: Why can I not trade?

Originally posted by CyberShy

All other civs have map-making as well for years, thus I suppose they have harbors as well.
                      I wouldn't make that presumption, the AI is terrible at building Harbours.

Comment

Working...
                      X