Combat System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat System

Does anyone know if its possible to alter Civ III so I can get a Civ:CTP I/II battle system. I hate when the AI has hundreds of troops in each city. I would like there to be a limit to the number of troops you can have in each city. My games are getting ridiculus with the AI armies. Any way this can happen? I would actually rather a full CTP style system, but I'll be happy with troop limits. Thanks for any input you can give me.
    Visit my site! Here!

Main part of the site isn't up, but the forums are nearly done. Here

To my knowledge that is not possible. I guess you just have to learn how to deal with it(probably not the answer you wanted )

I'll admit that taking out those heavily defended AI cities are Hard Work.

First, cut them off from reinforcements.
    Second, bring many units
    Third, BRING MANY UNITS
    Fourth, armies are cool, let you pick away units at your leisure without own losses.
    Fifth, try to kill them outside the city.
    Sixth, try to lure them out(then #5)
    Seventh, artillery, artillery, artillery. You need *roughly* 2-3 per defender to make an impact(assuming same tech-level)
    Eight, when you get enough artillery+attackers to take the city in one turn, do so.
    Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Or if it's the late game, bombers.
      Seemingly Benign
      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I never liked the CtP model.
        It's a communistic model: everybody is equal.
        What fun is it to not fully be able to defend a city so your enemy can come any day and take the city?

Let me and the AI defend our cities as good as possible.
        It's cool if it's hard to take a city. It's a game. It should be hard to win
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
          I never liked the CtP model.
          It's a communistic model: everybody is equal.
          What fun is it to not fully be able to defend a city so your enemy can come any day and take the city?

Let me and the AI defend our cities as good as possible.
          It's cool if it's hard to take a city. It's a game. It should be hard to win
          ...and it should be as tedious as possible
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Its not that I don't want it tedious. Its just ridiculous for the AI to be able to support hundreds and hundreds of troops without any apparent consequences. They seem to do fine in science, happiness, everything, yet they can support many many more troops than me. And having to take a out a city defended by 100 troops is annoying b/c units early on can only attack once, which means you need at least a 100 yourself to take the city over in a turn before they bring reinforcements. War weariness is through the roof with 100 units missing. It just seems that the AI should have been designed to be smarter with its money/resources. I mean, they support hundreds of troops, like I said, with no bad results to my knowledge. Plus, they don't upgrade, so you're forced to take out stupid ancient units with tanks, and its really realy sad when an archer beats a tank. It still happens to me. But thanks anyway, I'll just have to deal with it or something I guess.
            Visit my site! Here!

Main part of the site isn't up, but the forums are nearly done. Here

Comment

It is not absolutely neccesary to take the city in one turn, but it will be cheaper most of the time. If you got a tech advantage(and are able to lay a successful siege) you can kill the defenders over many turns.
              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverbergHeir
                Its not that I don't want it tedious. Its just ridiculous for the AI to be able to support hundreds and hundreds of troops without any apparent consequences.
                The AI gets a bonus on support on the higher levels. Its a standard type of cheat for all civ-style games. So the AI can maintain a larger army to offset the ability of the player to outthink it on a tactical level.

Originally posted by SilverbergHeir
                And having to take a out a city defended by 100 troops is annoying b/c units early on can only attack once, which means you need at least a 100 yourself to take the city over in a turn before they bring reinforcements. War weariness is through the roof with 100 units missing. It just seems that the AI should have been designed to be smarter with its money/resources. I mean, they support hundreds of troops, like I said, with no bad results to my knowledge. Plus, they don't upgrade, so you're forced to take out stupid ancient units with tanks, and its really realy sad when an archer beats a tank. It still happens to me. But thanks anyway, I'll just have to deal with it or something I guess.
                2 words...Stacked combat
                Structure civ3 to allow a player to send multiple units at at a target with a single push of a button (or key) and I'd be playing civ3 now instead of (Modded) CTP2.

The issue that Cybershy has with CTP is that there is a cap on the number of units that can be on a tile. But even with that cap, CTP2 Modders have been able to offset much of the the shortcomings that cap entails - thus providing the player with a more realistic and less tedious form of combat over civ3's current model.

Let's hope Firaxis finally gets a clue for civ4...
                Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Stacked combat would be a cool option indeed.
                  But it should be better executed than PtW I think.

SilverBergHeir, it sounds like you're playing on a too high lever. Just lower your level and things will be better.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                    Stacked combat would be a cool option indeed.
                    I'd like to see stack combat with a tactical map where you can arrange your troops.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Pherhaps RTS should meet TBS in combat
                      So it's all TBS, but when you attack someone, a RTS map of the territory opens, and you can move your tanks around etc. Like C&C or something.

Of course there should be an easy mode, in which the combat just works as in Civ1-3. And an advanced mode that offer you all you want!

That's what I want

Comment

Go play Medieval: Total War then...

Seriously - that's exactly what you describe, CyberShy.

Comment

I'd prefer the tactical board to be a TBS system also. It would play something like MoM or LoM (or to use a space game example - Space Empires IV).
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Put a Total War style system into Civ 4

The current Civ 3 system is, lets face it, the Civ 1 system with some extra buttons. Also with a Total War style system, we'll all be able to prove that a unit of spearmen cant defeat a whole unit of tanks. Although they might just be able to take one out
                            "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

The day they introduce a tactical combat board will be the day I give up on the Civ series, I strongly suspect.

And the AI stuffing to many defenders into cities is a problem? One of my chief complaints with the CivIII AI is its failure to sensibly reinforce threatened cities; if it's got ten cities with three defenders in each, and I land 20 attackers next to one of them, it of course should send troops from the other cities to reinforce it, but it never does.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                              X