Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• destroyed by the hitites

Hi

Can anyone help. I'm playing on the fourth level of hardness (Monarch maybe) and there
    is just myself (sumerian) and the hitites on the continent. I've spent most of my resources out-rexing the hitites, although at the mo I seem to have the same land percentage. And just when I've finished this the hitites attack and I'm overwhelmed. I've just got iron, although most of my units are enkidu warriors. Theres a large mountain range between us, but the border is wide so it's hard to defend. He seems able to send masses of swordsmen across, I've got around five cities producing units (not enough). any tips?

thanks

Post a save file and let's take a look. Hard to advise otherwise.
    So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
    Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

ok, i'll try and post tomorrow.

thanks

Comment

I can say one thing. If you checked with F3 advisor and it says your are weak compared to them, you should have built more troops.

Until you get a real feel for how a given levels plays out, you do not want to be too far back in strength. It is easy to ignore troops in favor of structures or land.

This is in fact the way experienced players do things, but it requires that you know when to change gears. Or have a natural choke point so yo can defend with ease.

Otherwise, a save would be good. Please mention the map size. We can see the level when we load the game, but it is hard to figure out the other settings.

Comment

here it is

HI

I think the map size was large.The war has just begun so it could be too late.

Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

Re: destroyed by the hitites

Originally posted by anteos
            Hi

Can anyone help. I'm playing on the fourth level of hardness (Monarch maybe) and there
            is just myself (sumerian) and the hitites on the continent. I've spent most of my resources out-rexing the hitites, although at the mo I seem to have the same land percentage. And just when I've finished this the hitites attack and I'm overwhelmed. I've just got iron, although most of my units are enkidu warriors. Theres a large mountain range between us, but the border is wide so it's hard to defend. He seems able to send masses of swordsmen across, I've got around five cities producing units (not enough). any tips?

thanks

hi ,

well mountains are good as defense , spearman in forts do a great job , but the range is huge , is it worth it , yes , but you schould get your units production higher , and a bigger emipre , the bigger you are , the faster your research , the faster you get new modern units , the more money you get , the more units you get , etc , ....

as for the rest , experience is the best way to learn , we all play in a different style , ....

a good way to learn is the AU forum ,

>>> http://www.apolyton.com/forums/forum...hp?forumid=215 <<<

take a look over there , its a good way to learn , actually the whole of apolyton is

have a nice day
            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Where to start? You have about half of the units your are allowed.
              This makes you a target.

It is 660AD and you are still in Despotism, this is a killer. You need to get out quickly, maybe not beeline, but not delay too long.

This is one reason you are not research well. The other is you have very few tile improvements and no trade net at all.

You do not even have your gems hooked up and if you did it would not help the empire as the city is not on the grid.

I see a number of mines on mountains, these should be the last things you do in most cases.

You have 23 workers for about 24 cities, that should be more like 30. In fact since the cities are spread out so far, it will need to be more like 40 or so. More since you have lots of jungle.

Libs in new cities is not all that useful, I would rather have a temple. Markets are not all that great for small towns and only 1 lux. I would switch some of the builds to workers.

You are now seeing why it is often better to have closer spacing for cities. They can be defended and need fewer workers.

I see workers on mountains that have no need to be there, building mines on hills in towns that have no one to work them and citizens on tiles with out mines.

Workers cutting jungle, when you do not even have all your towns connected. All towns must be connected ASAP. I often have the road down before the settler gets there or at least it is being built.

Effecient use of workers is what makes the game or breaks it. You must control all workers and use them judiciously.

The start you had is not super, but it is not the worst in the world.
              I do not know the overall dispostion of the world in this game, but it will be a nightmare to get control.

You need to make units to fight the war and get peace as soon as you can. You will lose some cities as you do not have enough troops and they are not in position to help.

I think you would be better off to start a new game and work on empire management. Try not to space CxxxC or wider. Consider placement next to rivers when the option is there.

By 660AD at Monarch you need to be in the middle ages at least. You would then have ships out and found the rest of the civs.

If you had down about 8 more cities and roads to all and proper tile improvements, while in Republic form, you woudl be doing about twice the income. This will fund a lot of research.

Comment

Thanks for that, i'll space my cities closer in future.

I actually managed to beat the computer off. I defended for eight turns without losing a city and he sued for peace.

I am stuck in a bit of a dead end. I'm way behind on techs compared to the other continent. And predictably I didn't have saltpeter when it arrived.

I did managed to connect the gems, they weren't connected because I'd only recently expanded into that area. And I was more concered with the impending attack from the hittites.

I built libraries before temples because they were cheaper. And I wanted to rex out before the AI snuck in cities.

Comment

Thanks for that, i'll space my cities closer in future.

I actually managed to beat the computer off. I defended for eight turns without losing a city and he sued for peace.

I am stuck in a bit of a dead end. I'm way behind on techs compared to the other continent. And predictably I didn't have saltpeter when it arrived.

I did managed to connect the gems, they weren't connected because I'd only recently expanded into that area. And I was more concered with the impending attack from the hittites.

I built libraries before temples because they were cheaper. And I wanted to rex out before the AI snuck in cities.

hi ,

if you want to learn , there is always PBEM , ....

carefull with skipping with temples , make sure you have something to cover that , short wars , lux , etc , ...

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

anteos if you have the 4000bc save, start it over with more concentration on get cities functioning, rather than founded.

By that I mean, having all connected right away and checking that the citizens are working the best tiles and those tiles have mines where appropriate and irrigaton if need.

You won't be able to do anything about missing resources, until later, but you will be much stronger.

This requires that you control all workers and sent them to tiles with out wasting turns as often as you can.

Comment

Libs give 50% more science, that is useless if you are not making any beakers. The temple makes one unhappy citizen, content.

I will make libs when the city is decent size and making at least 2 beakers. It cost 1 gold for maint.

I would not be too worried about the AI expanding into my sphere of influcence. You can build well enough to get the land you need. Rexing out to have cities with no connection and making no contribution to the empire is a waste of an expensive settler.

Comment

Re: here it is

HI

I think the map size was large.The war has just begun so it could be too late.

Thanks

hi ,

do you have any saves from before , ...

have a nice day

Comment

Working...
                        X