Wow, an AI suicide galley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, an AI suicide galley

This is the same game that had the Egyptian conscript horseman. My suicide galleys finally paid off, and I made contact with the Portugese two turns ago. Looking at the mini-map, you can just see three Portugese cities, to give you an idea of their location. All of a sudden, here comes Henry's galley along my coast. Catt, or anybody else, please give me an alternate explanation if there is one. Until then, I'm sticking with a seafaring civ using a suicide galley (Portugal has the lighthouse, but not education, therefore no astronomy, btw).
    Attached Files
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

And the tech verification...
    Attached Files

Comment

Light House gives immunity to sinking in sea tiles and the Galley is in a sea tile.
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Yes, but it had to cross quite a few ocean tiles to get where it is.

Comment

You can be sure that there is sea within the movement of that galley (5 sqs). AI will not send out a suicide galley.
          "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Swissy
            You can be sure that there is sea within the movement of that galley (5 sqs). AI will not send out a suicide galley.

hi ,

that and the fact that the AI can see the whole map , ....

have a nice day
            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Mightn't it be galley teleportation?
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Pherhaps there are islands along the route that you can't see....?
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

You have no knowledge of the nature of most of the water near where the galley appeared (nor indeed whether there is land just just outside your visible coastline). When your map knowledge improves as you play further into the game, post another screenie and I'll bet there is a safe sea route requiring a crossing of no more than 4 ocean tiles.

Teleporation is possible, too, but I'd still lay strong odds that there is a safe route for a GL-powered seafaring civ.

Catt

Comment

aye id definately agree with Catt.

playing a game atm on large archipelo, ive mapped all the major islands in the world, tis only as the AI is getting into Industrail ages that they've started sending out Ships. although on one of my aborted attempts (im playing Sid) which required the use of my timeship, the AI did send a galley with a settler to my island before it was fully developed. i cant remember if GL was in play then (it was turn 110) but the distance between our homelands is 3-4 ocean tiles and around 6-8 sea tiles.
                    mind u after i used my time ship to go back and readjust my REXing i never saw any AI ships untill lately (circa turn 200)

Comment

maybe they came up this way??
                      Attached Files

Comment

Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Originally posted by PeaSoup
                          maybe they came up this way??
                          I think he would have seen the galley before now though.

I agree with Catt, a way-point island in that black is likely.

Comment

Pea Soup, that's got to be it.

Actually, I forgot about the GL and seafaring bonus and was thinking of the galley as four move. Turns out there's a peninsula in the far north that sticks out unusually far, giving just enough room to cross.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                              Mightn't it be galley teleportation?
                              What do you mean by this? A Galley strays into another civ's territory and is demanded to leave, and is thus teleported to the closest tile out of the civ's culture radius where it will not sink? Does that actually happen to the AI?
                              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                              X