OCC official rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC official rules?

I've been looking for the official rules for the OCC, but I haven't found them. Does anyone know where they are?

Thanks!

There's no such thing as "official" rules for a OCC.

The idea, of course, is to never have more than one city, but that's it.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Has anyone actually pulled this off? I've done it with Civ2 and yes, there were rules (must play Deity, Raging Hordes, win by spaceship, etc.)

Comment

It's been done in CivIII.

Diplomatic, Cultural and Spacerace victories have been achieved. Domination is impossible, as is, effectively, Conquest.

Edit: On second thoughts, Conquest should be doable on small Pangaeas.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

It is theoretically possible to win a conquests on any size map, but your right, it would not be easy
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I guess there are no 'official rules' for the OCC in Civ 3 Conquests. I know there were some for Civ 2, but Civ 3 is a completely different game.

I guess my question should be does anyone have any suggestions for winning an OCC? Map Size? Difficulty? (right now I play on Monarch) Tribe? begining strategies? Great Wonders that you must have?

Any help would be awesome!

Comment

Map size: the smaller the easier, of course. Less competition.

Difficulty: Depends. How hard do you want it to be?

Tribe: Scientific is probably the best trait for OCC. The cheap buildings can really help, but they're practically cream on top when you think about how much help the extra techs can be in keeping up - or maintaining dominance.
              The second trait is more difficult to pick. Commercial won't be of much use, but otherwise, it just depends on what you're looking for.

Beginning strategies: Build some warriors for exploration like you would normally. Add in Curraghs if you have a coastal site. These two combined should yield you some contacts, and tech trading is vital to OCC - trading to get what techs you're beaten to, and trading away techs you research for tech or gold.
              Then consider a granary for growth. Generally start building improvements - temple, lib, market, etc.
              On research, the philo path is good if you think you can get to it first. Then you'll need Literature for a library. (And possibly the Great Lib if you think you can have a shot at it.)

Wonders: Make sure you grab Copernicus and Newton's, and later on SETI if you're going for spaceship rather than culture. They're incredibly helpful for your research. If you're on coast, the Colossus is incredibly helpful as well. And Shakespeare's is excellent, both for happiness and allowing you to get past size 12 pre-hospitals.
              The Great Lighthouse might be helpful for contacts depending on the map, and the Great Library can be of use too if you get it.
              Otherwise I can't think of wonders that are helpful to your one city. Go for all the high-culture ones you can if you're trying to win by culture, though.

Comment

You'll find something resembling the "rules" for OCC here: AU302
                And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

OCC is great for a quick game and to work on your city management skills. Play with whatever rules you think will help your enjoyment and/or learning.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I played on Monarch, standard map, everything random as the Greeks. I lost my edge in the modern era and the Babylonians won with a space ship victory. Until the modern era, I was kicking ass and taking names. I built 9 great wonders including the observatory, the University and the Seti Project. I had 15,000 culture points at the end of the game. I think my two biggest mistakes were 1. not getting involved in conflicts between other nations. I should have given support to other nations that were getting crushed. Instead the Babylonians were able to grow to about 30% of the world pop and land area. 2. I discovered Democracy first and then I traded it to the other nations pretty quickly. I received some good deals, but I should have withheld this tech indefinately. I noticed that once they got Democracy, I started to lose the tech race.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how the next OCC turns out.

Someone said not to to choose a civ with the commercial ability, but I couldn't find a better secondary trait and that extra trade icon at the beginning turns into quite a lot after awhile.

Comment

Industrious can be helpful - get that infrastructure up a bit faster.

Comment

True, you do get some extra trade. Commercial certainly isn't worthless. But Industrious or Religious can be quite helpful; ind for the faster infrastructure like Last Conformist says, Religious for more cheaper buildings and for fewer wasted turns in anarchy.

Comment

Working...
                        X