Problem with game speeding up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with game speeding up

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a fix for it...

After awhile the speed that units travel at becomes nearly instantaneous, that is, the speed that is displayed, not an increase in their movement points. This is annoying because you can't really see what is going on. I have tried quitting and reloading, but that doesn't help at all. Occasionally, it will go back to normal speed, but later on reverts to high speed movement. If I reinstall the game it will go back to normal speed for awhile, but I can't reload a game that I have been playing. It doesn't seem to matter if I am using v1.0, 1.20, or 1.22.

Any help with this will certainly be appreciated.

Strange.

You don't have CAPS LOCK on?

All Animated movements are turned on in preferences?

Comment

Given the way you describe it as coming and going, it's probably caps lock. Holding down the shift key during the AI's turn causes their units to move fast, and turning on caps lock makes this happen all the time. I think the caps lock feature was just added with the latest patch.
      Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

CAPS LOCK on? Didn't know about that one. I'll try it in my current game.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Thanks, I will try that. I may have inadvertently hit the caps lock at some point. It also affected my units, not just the AI units, but that could very well be the problem.

Comment

I think most people would prefer the game speed up

Comment

Heh, you mean you don't like the faster speed? It halves the time the AI takes to finish their turns (bar a massive war on my borders), which is very useful in the late game when the AI insists on moving their ships up and down my coast.

Caps Lock!!!

Comment

I suppose that could be good, but I like to actually see what's going on. My computer is fast enough that the time lag doesn't get really slow anyway. At least on the games I've played so far, which is about 2.

Comment

The shift and caps lock keys are just to temporarily speed up the AI moves. You can make it that way permamently in the Preferences tab by setting the various Animate options. Animate on means slow moves between tiles, while Animate off means fast moves between tiles. I have Animate off for my manual and automatic moves since I don't need to see my units move slowly. I also have it off for Friend moves, since I don't care nor need to watch if my friendly neighbor AI wants to move workers and galleys back and forth along my border for 2,000 years. But I have it on for Enemy moves, because like you, I want to make sure I see where the enemy units are moving. I also have Animate battles on, because it's more exciting to watch the outcome of the battle blow by blow.
                  Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Shift and Caps Lock affect all moves. I've got into the habit of hitting shift whenever I give a goto order.
                    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Caps Lock is pretty essential if you automate your workers late game when you generally have quite a few. Otherwise it feels like you spend the whole turn watching them putter about.
                      "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Better solution: Don't automate workers.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Over time I’ve cut back from full automation, to partial (clear swamps/jungles, clean pollution, build RR from point A to B) but with literally scores of workers on large/huge maps during the late game, I don’t have the patience to do it all by hand, and that’s still a lot of puttering.
                          "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                            Better solution: Don't automate workers.
                            THAT really slows down the game!
                            In the beginning I move my workers manually, but later in the game they surely go on auto.

And are people still watching any automated moves as if they're manually? WOW! Never expected that!

I don't even have enemy-moves on.......
                            At the ending of my turn I look where his units are, and at the beginning of the new turn where they have gone.
                            Works perfectly.

Of course the battles must be animated! That's part of the fun!
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

You can make it that way permamently in the Preferences tab by setting the various Animate options. Animate on means slow moves between tiles, while Animate off means fast moves between tiles

PBEM games save the preferences in the game, so when you load them up you get affected by any changes the previous player made. That is really annoying at times. Especially when people turn off animations of units, because I want them on

I would prefer preferences to remain seperate from game settings.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X