So, how do you pronounce "Curragh"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, how do you pronounce "Curragh"

This question really needed to be asked.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Apparently as either "kur-uh" or the variant "kur-agk." I've always used the former when I imagine the word.

Link to Dictionary with pronunciation audio

Catt

Comment

What's "kur-agk" meant to signify? gk clusters are hopeless to pronounce syllable-finally.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
        Apparently as either "kur-uh" or the variant "kur-agk." I've always used the former when I imagine the word.
        The way I used is similar to the second one: kur-AK.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Re: So, how do you pronounce "Curragh"

Originally posted by Jaguar
          This question really needed to be asked.
          I pronounce it like "hurrah", except with a "k" in front instead of an "h".

Comment

Re: Re: So, how do you pronounce "Curragh"

Originally posted by Kucinich

I pronounce it like "hurrah", except with a "k" in front instead of an "h".

Someone should start a poll on this critically important C3C issue.
            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Re: Re: Re: So, how do you pronounce "Curragh"

Originally posted by Aqualung71
              Someone should start a poll on this critically important C3C issue.
              Done.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Ummmm....errrr.....yeh, right. I was joking.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                  What's "kur-agk" meant to signify? gk clusters are hopeless to pronounce syllable-finally.
                  A layman's version of a guttural "k."

Catt

Comment

Kur-ah (with a hint of a gutteral sound at the end of the final sylable)
                    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Ummmm....errrr.....yeh, right. I was joking.

Comment

Originally posted by Catt

A layman's version of a guttural "k."
                        What the heck is a guttural "k"? Guttural is used to describe pretty much any back sound - incl perfectly normal 'k's, like in "kill".
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                          What the heck is a guttural "k"? Guttural is used to describe pretty much any back sound - incl perfectly normal 'k's, like in "kill".
                          Its kind of like the "ch" in German. Examples: Ich (I) and Achtung (attention).

Comment

I know I'm a bit blind (and deaf), but I can't see any "ch" in "German"

Comment

I know I'm a bit blind (and deaf), but I can't see any "ch" in "German"

Comment

Working...
                              X