No announcement yet.

Details of Traits Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And again, if you start in an area short on fresh water city sites, the 1/2 cost aqueducts become a real help! 50 shields off for every city that needs an aqueduct is pretty big - especially given that you will want to build them in the late ancient/early medieval age, when mustering 100 shields is a big deal. This is one of the reasons I think the Dutch kick so much ass. They can found a bundle of coastal towns that can hit size7+ w/o huge shield investments.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

If you don't have fresh water, get a ROP with a neighbor who does and then go in and irrigate. If you can't get a ROP, I've found that you can sometimes "steal" water. A friendly AI will often ignore a lone worker in its territory. Dig an irrigation trench all the way to your border. Of course, sometimes they just can't resist the tempation...

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator
        If you don't have fresh water, get a ROP with a neighbor who does and then go in and irrigate. If you can't get a ROP, I've found that you can sometimes "steal" water. A friendly AI will often ignore a lone worker in its territory. Dig an irrigation trench all the way to your border. Of course, sometimes they just can't resist the tempation...
        That all works for getting to irrigate land which you otherwise couldn't irrigate until Electricity, but I assume that doesn't count towards whether the city gets the bonus food in the city center square.
        Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

The city food bonus is strictly based on gov't. In Despotism and Anarachy, you don't get it. In all other gov'ts, you do. Even in Despotism, you get the bonus for irrigating desert.

Comment

Originally posted by albiedamned
            Ok I get it now. Basically in SP most people think Agri is the best because they'll just restart if they don't see fresh water at first. I do realize that getting to the +5fpt for worker or settler pumps gives a huge edge in early game expansion. But in MP, where restarting isn't an option, I would think taking Agri is a huge risk! If you don't get fresh water, then you're screwed. Yeah the cheaper Aqueducts and desert irrigation bonus are nice, but those don't come into play during the early expansion phase. I've never played MP Civ3 myself, so I'm just speculating.
            In MP, the "fresh water start" rate for AGR civs is well over 90%. They're taken almost exclusively in MP above and beyond any other civ - Zulu and Egypt being the exceptions.

If you'd like to play a lil' MP Civ3, click the link in the sig.
            Friedrich Psitalon
            Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
            Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator
              The city food bonus is strictly based on gov't. In Despotism and Anarachy, you don't get it. In all other gov'ts, you do. Even in Despotism, you get the bonus for irrigating desert.
              This is incorrect; a Despotic AGR civ starting on a lake or river will get the food bonus.
              Friedrich Psitalon
              Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
              Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
                And Krill's right on Industrious having only a 50% bonus. Agricultural also gets half price aqueducts.
                I think I've read they also get halfprice solar energyplants, but I have never played an agricultural civ to te modern age so I am not sure.

On another note seafaring gives halfprice habours too. And I think halfprice commercial docks as well, but I am not sure about that either.

Comment

A quick look in the ol' Editor tells us that Commercial Docks, Coastal Fortesses, and Offshore Platforms are marked as Seafaring, in addition to the Habours.

Someone mentioned Solar Plants - they're Agricultural, for Sid knows what reason.

As a curiosum, it may be mentioned that SS parts can be flagged as Sea or Agr, but not as the old traits.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
                    In MP, the "fresh water start" rate for AGR civs is well over 90%.
                    Is this percentage higher than for non-ag tribes? IE is the increased chance of a fresh water start part of the agricultural trait?
                    Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Also, for some unknown reason, Agr civs get half priced of one of the modern era polution reducing facilities. (It's either Mass Transit or Recyling Centers, not both)
                      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

It's the Recycling Center.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Also remember that under ptw/vanilla, slaves taken by industrious civs would work at 100%. In c3c, slaves work at 50%, industrious or not.
                          Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Yeah I've noticed that in my current game as the Mayans. Their combination of a slaver UU and industrious workers is overkill if you get into an ancient war. I fought almost the entire ancient era, and I captured 30 or so slaves. I have them working in teams of 3, which are equivalent to one of my regular (industrious) workers. Because I have so many, I have almost no need for my regular workers, thus negating my industrious trait.
                            Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Working...
                            X