Is Conquests worth buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woody
    One thing that bugged me about Civ3 is that you couldn't edit the game after you started it.

I like "playing God", and doing things like giving a poor wayward civ some high-tech military equipment. Stuff like that. That was great in Civ2 (via the "cheat" menu).

Is that possible with conquests?
    No, Conquests won't allow you to make any changes once the game has started. There is a debug mode but it's a bit to powerful for things like that IMO. You can tamper with other civs too much.

Comment

True, when you think about it C3C doesn't have much in the way of brand new big things, but with little tweaks (MGLs with different abilities, ARMIES being awesome, different stats for some existing units) and additions (civs, SGLs, units etc) the game just seems more well-rounded and full now.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

All this and if you buy C3C you get PTW basically for free. If I remember right, they greatly improved the editor from Civ3 in PTW.

Not to say there are no bugs, because there are and some are quite serious, but the AI has never been great at moving units around and never made much use of Armies.

There was the the famous Temple of Zues bug, which gave paratroops in the ancient era, but I guess that's fixed.

On the whole I with Mr WIA on this one. You get PTW for free.
        Diderot was right!
        Our weapons are backed with UNCLEAR WORDS!
        Please don't go, the drones need you.

Comment

Re: Is Conquests worth buying?

Originally posted by woody
          I bought CIV3 the day it came out. After that, I swore I'd never buy another Firaxis product until it had been out a few months and the bugs were fixed. I never bothered with PTW, due to all the quality complaints.

So, seeing that Conquests has been out for awhile, is it worth buying? I'm not at all interested in multiplayer, and probably will not bother with scenarios. Does it have enough new features to make it a significantly better game than the original CIV3?

Oh, and is it relatively bug-free yet?
          hi ,

yes

its worth every single penny

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Definitely worth it. None of that PTW burn here.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Finally, this from strategyinformer.com:

Strategy Informer rates Civ-Conquests 9.0/10.0

"Regular readers will know I am a critic of expansions, bemoaning the fact that you don’t get enough for your money. C3C is thankfully, the exception to the rule. If you have ever played Civ in any of its incarnations, C3C is an absolute must buy."
              - Roy Holbrook, Strategy Informer

Enough already.
              Diderot was right!
              Our weapons are backed with UNCLEAR WORDS!
              Please don't go, the drones need you.

Comment

My favorite game.... worth it.
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Working...
                X