conscription question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conscription question

I've noticed that in large cities, when you conscript, the build time for items in the queue is sometimes reduced. Why is this?

You loose population when you conscript, and less population means less production. Also, people might turn unhappy if you conscript (especially if you do it a lot)

Comment

conscription costs population.

a reduced population will result in less tiles being worked by your citys inhabitants. thus they will generally produces less shields after conscription, and depending on the number of sheilds per turn lost it will usually result in build times increased.

i dont know the number of citizens lost due to conscripting a unit, personally i never use it.

however its not as simple a matter as ive stated above.
      corruption plays its part, a city which loses lots of shields to waste (the red shields) wont notice the drop in population as much.

also citys sized greater than 21 ( well 21 + the number citizents consctription costs) wont lose productive citizens.

also its posible to conscript a unit and not lose any production, but this depends on the tiles in ur city area. you would need to move citizens from one tile to another. but no matter what you will lose something , be it shields or food, u will always lose commerce. however this comes under micromanagement, and very much depends on ur personal taste

Comment

Re: conscription question

Originally posted by anteos
        I've noticed that in large cities, when you conscript, the build time for items in the queue is sometimes reduced. Why is this?
        Neither of you guys addressed the right question - the build time DECREASES. I honestly don't know why that would be, unless you are actually pop-rushing rather than conscripting (the buttons are right next to each other).
        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

MrWhereItsAt is right. The build time for large items such as hospitals etc decrease. This does not always happen, but tend to happen in the modern era in cities with large populations.

Comment

Originally posted by anteos
            MrWhereItsAt is right. The build time for large items such as hospitals etc decrease. This does not always happen, but tend to happen in the modern era in cities with large populations.
            Assuming you're not conscripting and then disbanding the conscript for shields, the only explanation that comes to mind is that the loss of a citizen causes the city governor to reallocate the laborers among available tiles -- moving a laborer from a coast to a mined mountain for instance would cause the city to produce less food and commerce but more shields (possibly decreasing build times). Similarly, it's possible (I suppose) that the conscription reduces the population enough to trigger WLTKD in the city and therefore reduce waste (lost shields) -- I'd think that the unhappiness caused by conscription would offset any "net happiness gain" from reduced population, but never bothered to play with it.

Catt

Comment

I agree with Catt! That has happened to me a lot. Everytime i draft, the governator ( ) moves citizens around which often gives you more productive cities then before - at the expense of food of course.

Comment

WLTKD was my first thought, too, Catt, but even if draft unhappiness didn't negate it, it wouldn't be noticed until the next turn. I may be reading too much into the question, but it sounds to me like he's seeing it in the city screen immediately. My money's on the governor.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Thanks for your ideas. It does happen in the city screen. But generally all the tiles are being used because the city is so large. Also wltkd doesn't have time to happen, it happens as soon as I conscript and I don't disband the conscripted unit.

I'll try and get some screen shots.

Comment

Screenshots are a great idea, as well as a save game. Could you post one, tell us which city to go to etc? Also please can you tell us what version of the game you are using?

I agree with the WLTKD normally not showing up until the next turn. It's possible I suppose that Conscription forces a recalculation negating that idea though.

There's so many things I just haven;t used in this game - like Conscription. My populations are just too precious!
                    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I too tend to avoid conscription, but an evil use just occured to me - draft foreign citizens in recent conquests! Decreases the time necessary to starve it down to size one.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                        I too tend to avoid conscription, but an evil use just occured to me - draft foreign citizens in recent conquests! Decreases the time necessary to starve it down to size one.
                        Only if you are mobilized, which reduces your options if you don't want, or can't get, peace. Hardly a reason to mobilize just to draft foreign citizens.
                        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I believe you can only draft if you have a majority of your own citizens in the city.

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                          Only if you are mobilized, which reduces your options if you don't want, or can't get, peace. Hardly a reason to mobilize just to draft foreign citizens.
                          Are you saying you can draft foreign citizens when they have the majority if you are in mobilization?
                          Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Odd as it may sound I never use conscription. I never see it as making much of a difference. Doesn't slow me down when the AI does it. I tend to avoid getting into such dire straits as much as possible.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I don't think conscripts make much of a difference either. Not unless you have a tech advantage (say, Tanks and Infantry vs Cav and Riflemen) and if you do, you shouldn't need really need extra defense from conscription.

However, as someone pointed out on these forums, conscripting Infantry/MIs and disbanding them is even better than poprushing once you have Recycling.

Comment

Working...
                              X