modding a canal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modding a canal

Heya, I'd like to make either a worker action : Build Canal, or perhaps mod one of the current terrain types (or add a new one) that would allow a worker to "plant a forest" or whatnot and end up with a passable-to-ships terrain type.

Is this possible? In the C3C editor I couldn't exactly tell what it was that marked a terrain as "passable by ships" -- there's no checkbox for either land or sea, it's apparently assumed the game can somehow figure it out?

Thanks!!
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

It is called hard-coded in I believe. The only thing I know you can do along these lines is build a city and call it 'canal city'. No joke I've done it. Or arrange a tile to convert to coast such as grassland with an terra forming engineer unit. (a worker renamed) Terra-forming to a coast is more radical and does not impact a city land-locked into being coastal, for it is what is when it is founded. And obviously blocks land movement.
    The Graveyard Keeper
    Of Creation Forum
    If I can't answer you don't worry
    I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Actually the latter is precisely what I want. Not for city purposes but for just general transpo purposes. Don't mind if it's impassable by land, that's easy to fix with transport or what have you.

I've used the city system often myself -- have it in a game now where I have two cities on opposite sides of a lake even. I just think it's something that should be doable in the game.

So how do I make a grassland convert to coast? I haven't figured that part out yet (how to make a terrain terraform to another terrain) ...
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hi Snoopy369, Sorry hav'nt forgot you, however I did have to look up 'how' I did the above, as this quandary of connecting bodies of water bothered me first off.

Now a funny thing, I can't remember which is which, that whether I was just miss-remembering what could be done in CIVII, and looking at the Terrain Tab in CIVIII, the only reference to terrain changing kind is in the 'Pollution Effect'. So the question is, can this feature/trigger be some how used or manipulated?

Quite honestly, I can not answer that without some testing. Ump, I hope I have not led you astray on this. And further hope there is a work-around available.
        The Graveyard Keeper
        Of Creation Forum
        If I can't answer you don't worry
        I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Working...
        X