No announcement yet.

Strategic resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends. You'd have to know the Firaxian intentions...
    It may be like the 'tech rate' figure in the map editor, where the figures were twice as high as the help said they should be. At least, on last check. Some time ago
    It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
    She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

If I remember correctly, the disappearance ratio is the chance if the resource to disappear. That means if the ratio indicate 20%, there is a 20% chance each turn this will happen. But it doesn't have to mean the resource will disappear every 5th turn. Teoritically, it might never happen during a whole game.

Comment

In my current SP game, I waiting and hoping for some resources. My island has no luxary, no iron, and no saltpeter; talk about bad luck.

Comment

You can look at the disappearance/reappearance probabilities in the editor for the various resources.

A value of "0" means that it never depletes. Horses and rubber are set to "0". I can understand it for rubber, since rubber needs to reappear in jungles or forests, and their often isn't any of that terrain late in the game.

A value of x (where x is not 0) is the 1/x probablity that a single resource will move (disappear/reappear) each turn. Iron is 400, so each iron resource has a 1/400 = 0.25% prob. of moving every turn. Uranium is 100, so it has a 1/100 = 1% chance of moving each turn. That's why uranium seems to disappear much quicker than iron.

Oh, and to correct something that was claimed earlier...

A resource that depletes must reappear on terrain that currently matches it's requirements. I think if there is no such empty terrain on the map, the resource is gone forever.

Comment

Thanks for the information Woody.

Comment

On the horses/rubber issue: they're the only renewable strategic resources.

The game effectively assumes sustainable exploitation of all renewable resources. Iron, coal, aluminum, uranium, oil and saltpeter are all non-renewable mined resources, in that a deposit is found and exploited until it's usefulness is gone, then another deposit has to be found. Horses and rubber can be cultivated.
              Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

A value of x (where x is not 0) is the 1/x probablity that a single resource will move (disappear/reappear) each turn. Iron is 400, so each iron resource has a 1/400 = 0.25% prob. of moving every turn. Uranium is 100, so it has a 1/100 = 1% chance of moving each turn. That's why uranium seems to disappear much quicker than iron.

In my test scen, the disppearance ratio for Oil was set to 2. Despite this, the resource only depleted something like every tenth turn, consistently over over eight hundred turns. This clearly suggests that something is haywire, but I cannot exclude that there is some sort of ceiling, skewing results with very low disappearance ratios, while leaving more normal ones as they should.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                X