Rank the Traits: Militiristic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank the Traits: Militiristic

Hi all. Long time reader, 1st time poster.
    I was curious how everyone would "rank" the traits.
    This time: Militiristic

On a scale of 0-5, 0 being totally worthless and 5 being the best, how would everyone rank the Mil. trait?

Update

Militiristic averaged 2.455 after 33 votes.
    7th highest ranked.

Chart coming soon
    2.70%
    2.70%
    56.76%
    21.62%
    10.81%
    5.41%
    Last edited by kobo1d; May 4, 2004, 10:15.

I voted 2, but it could be more useful at Demi. I would say below that it is not as good as some others and above it I think it is of little value.

Comment

updated stats

Comment

Lower tier....and the only reason I give it 3 is because C3C is such a warmongers' game.
        So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
        Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Ugain, worse than useless. Unless you go for a domination game on pangea (which I never will do).

BTW, the most 'fun' civ to play on archipelago maps is Scandinavia (at least for me), which is militaristic/seafaring, proof that even a one-legged civ can be 'fun' when you play it correctly.
          The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

Militaristic can be quite powerful when playing against a human opponent.

However, it just doesn't have the same 'kick' to it that AGR and IND have, so I give it a 3.

Comment

I have to agree with you on the Vs humans part. Having those cheap barracks and a higher probability of promotion can be an enormous bonus in conflict heavy games.
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Only really useful if you play to take advantage of it - you have to be agressive for this not to be a non-trait, and even then it's still not as good as some of the others.

Comment

I'm giving this one a 3. It used to be one of my favorite, top-tier traits in PTW. But the changes to MGLs have reduced it for me, since I only went all-out on MGL generation in PTW to be able to rush wonders & palace moves. Obviously, I'm approaching this (and all these questions) from a SP perspective.

The 1/2 cost walls, barracks, harbors and airports are nice, particularly the barracks & harbors.

The promotion thing is still useful for getting more MGLs, and MGLs still have their uses - rushing small wonders and creating Armies, which are now very strong (too strong, especially given that the AI won't use them).

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

updated stats

Comment

Promotions, Leaders, Armies. Then starts the serious stomping. I am a builder by nature, but when the dark side calls I think the Militaristic trait is not only useful, it is mean, evil, satisfying fun.

voted 4
                      If you aren't confused,
                      You don't understand.

Comment

4. Love fighting, constant benefit of more upgrades on units. Cheap barracks too...sweet stuff
                        It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
                        She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

updated stats
                          militiristic is holding steady

Comment

3. Militaristic can be very powerful for tightly packed MP games for buiding quick barracks and walls, but is otherwise of rather limited use, especially under C3C rules. Other traits (namely industrious and agricultural) provide a greater benefit in the early game anyhow... granted, the few barracks I need to build will cost 20 shields more apiece, but that's not really THAT expensive when you consider the many benefits I'll be getting from increasing population, production, number of improved tiles, etc.
                            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Traight droped from 3 down to 2 when ability for MGL to build GWs was elimated. Armies are much nicer than before, but that doesn't compare to getting a free GW.

Dead last in my book, walls are useless because they have no affect once the city reaches size 7 and also seem to be fraqile.

Baracks cost little, ironically their best thing about their traight is the half price Harbor, but I'm biased because I prefer building my empire peacefully and only go war-mongler when a needed luxary or resource is just inside my oppoents territory.
                              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                              Templar Science Minister
                              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                              X