Rank the traits: Commercial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank the traits: Commercial

Hi all. Long time reader, 1st time poster.
    I was curious how everyone would "rank" the traits.
    This time: Commercial

On a scale of 0-5, 0 being totally worthless and 5 being the best, how would everyone rank the Com. trait?

Update

Commercial averaged 3.243 after 37 votes.
    5th highest ranked.

Chart coming soon.
    2.50%
    7.50%
    15.00%
    25.00%
    42.50%
    7.50%
    Last edited by kobo1d; May 4, 2004, 10:04.

I would put this at 4.5 as I feel Ag is all alone at 5, but was forced to vote 5. The corruption and increased OCN is very useful.

Comment

updated stats

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
        I would put this at 4.5 as I feel Ag is all alone at 5, but was forced to vote 5. The corruption and increased OCN is very useful.
        To put this anywhere near the level of AGR is silly.

AGR is effective from the very beginning. COM, while powerful in its own right, doesn't show its true colors until a great deal into the game. When playing against humans early advantages are the name of the game, and COM just doesn't cut it.

Comment

Yes MP is another thing in most games and I ignore in this poll.

Comment

Against the AI you could have no traits and still win easily.

Comment

The second trait I LOVE. You win a game with money, not military units.
              Combine it with industrious and now you know why I love the French so much (as a civ, that is...)
              The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

One of the better traits IMHO, but the advantages are more subtle and are easily overlooked - you just think you've done a good job setting up your empire when are doing better relative to the AI.

Comment

4. I love commercial. It might "really" be a 3, but I like it so much my judgement may be clouded on this one.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The Alphabet for an early trading and research head start is one of the strongest advantages any trait gives. Curraghs (even if they are just the slow ones) give quick contacts. Then the OCN bonus kicks in and is probably the best mid-late game bonus.

The only thing bad about Commercial is that Seafaring does pretty much the same thing more efficiently early on.

Comment

updated stats

Comment

This one's only running fifth? I think people are undervaluing the difference this one can make...

Comment

I guess if you play on std or smaller maps and if you go for SS or UN type wins, commerce is not all that important of a trait.

IOW if you will not have lots of cities, you do not need an increased OCN.

Comment

To my perception, Commercial is like getting another Forbidden Palace. Everything is just a bit more productive. More money, more shields, more stuff in your empire, what's not to love? A subtle but significant trait that especially helps large empires.

Voted 4.
                            If you aren't confused,
                            You don't understand.

Comment

Seriously depends on the level.
                              On Sid this is #1 trait, because starting off with Alphabet is absolutely essential. Also, corruption is a killer on Sid and commercial trait helps relatively more in this department on higher levels.
                              Below Sid it is a mediocre trait at best, #5-#7. It is impossible to get a precise ranking since utility of most traits is very much map-dependent.
                              It is only totalitarian governments that suppress facts. In this country we simply take a democratic decision not to publish them. - Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister

Comment

Working...
                              X