Forbidden palace problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forbidden palace problem

I'm playing v1.22 (having upgraded all the way from 1.0 continuously), and I've noticed that the fobidden palace does not work properly. Even the city I've built it in has a problem with corruption.

I believe this was also a problem with earlier versions?

I've attached a screendump.

Skodkim
    Attached Files

that looks fine to meh,

under new rules (im sure alexman will confirm, im just jumping the gun)
    FP removes rank corruption.
    dose nothing aginst distance corruption,
    to get ur city with FP to 0 corruption u need to build a courthouse and police station.

ive no idea when those respective changes took place/

Comment

Actually the FP works for distance corruption, but does not create new city ranks. The conclusion that the screenshot is as it should be still holds however.

Comment

The changes were introduced in stages, but with all the patches to C3C.
        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

You will still get rank corruption even though distance corruption is zero. The FP city is somewhat of a "special case" due to the maximum corruption formula, that basically says maximum corruption/waste in any city is 90%, but this reduces to 20% for the FP city (or SPHQ city in Communism), and to 10% with a Courthouse and 0% with a Police Station. As soon as these calculations are lower than the rank corruption, the rank corruption number will become irrelevant for the FP city. However in your example, you have neither a Courthouse nor a Police Station, so the Rank corruption calculates as normal and is lower than the maximum corruption level of 20%, so takes precedence. As MJ says, build a CH and PS and corruption will reduce to zero.
          So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
          Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

OT: what difficulty level is this? You seem to be using CxxxxC spacing, or is that a former AI empire
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Even the city with the Palace will show some corruption when the population gets high enough. It doesn't look to me like there's enough corruption in that city to be concerned about.

Comment

Looks to me like a CH would boost net production under current workforce allocation from 17 to 18. and cut one gold loss to corruption as well which would either convert to 1 or 2 science or taxes with current structures.

You would get far better shield improvement by simply reallocating the workforce onto tiles producing shields. Your city is never to go reach size 13 without a Hospital or Shakesphere's no matter how large the food surplus is.
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Good point joncnunn....you can get 3 extra shields immediately and still have a "useless" 2 food surplus. Depending on whether any of the other grassland tiles are bonus (can't really tell from the picture), you may even get more shileds by further mining.

Comment

Yeah.

I see what you're talking about here - just thought FP removed corruption alltogether

Thanks for the help guys

Skodkim

BTW: I'm playing at demigod level and kicking the crap out of them!

Comment

I noticed that near the endgame, even your Capital has 1 corruption
                      One OS to rule them all,
                      One OS to find them,
                      One OS to bring them all
                      and in the darkness bind them.

Comment

Originally posted by skodkim
                        I see what you're talking about here - just thought FP removed corruption alltogether
                        It was never intended to work as a second capital for the city rank (order from capital), but a bug with Civ3 and PTW had that effect. Corruption is now working as it was intended to from the begining, with FP affecting the distance corruption and the optimal city count, but not as a new rank center.
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Actually, I still need a little clearing up on this, in practice.

So: Is the location of the FP city now basically irrelevant? Just get the damn thing built, and your overall empire benefits? The only city affected re distance corruption is the FP city itself?
                          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

It still affects distance corruption like it did before, for all cities closer to the FP than the Palace. IOW, city A that's closer to the FP will get distance corruption as related to the FP, but still suffer rank corruption as ranked from the Palace.

Based on my limited tinkering with (and understanding of ) corruption, I'd say the location now needs to be close enough to the Palace that the cities it helps aren't still crippled by rank corruption, but that's about it. For instance, a city ranked 36 (OCN for this case) on a huge monarch map under republic has 39.88% corruption from rank alone. It's a tradeoff, I guess, on whether you want to turn some semi-productive cities into powerhouses or turn some crippled cities into semi-productive ones.
                            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

No....distance corruption is calculated using the lower of the distance from the Palace or the distance from the FP. So, distance corruption for a city next to the FP will be small compared to before the FP was built....assuming it's built a reasonable distance from the Palace.

For rank corruption, the existence of the FP increases the denominator of the calculation for ALL cities (ie, the adjusted OCN), so it has a slightly reducing effect on rank corruption of all cities.

The FP city itself is a special case, since the maximum corruption level for any city is 90% less 70% for any corruption wonder (Palace, FP or SPHQ in Communism), less 10% for CH less 10% for PS.

The consensus of opinion now says that since the FP no longer provides a new set of city ranks for its core, the best placement is no longer a long way away from the Palace, since distance corruption around the FP core may be minimal, but rank corruption could blow it out of the water. Instead, the best placement is a reasonable distance from the Palace so that the benefits of low distance corruption are not totally negated by excessive rank corruption. I've seen it described as an oval shaped configuration (one main core, and a second less effective core), instead of a bar-bell shape (two equally effective cores).

Communism changes the rules substantially. My understanding of the formulas is that for all but the very largest empires, rank corruption can be very low because of the large multiplier that communal empires have applied to their OCN. It also seems distance corruption under Communism is calculated irrespective of the presence or positioning of the FP/SPHQ, as the distance of all cities from the Palace is assumed to be the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X