Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Advisor Behavior/Privateers

Not sure if this is known or not:

In my current game, I have never been at war with the Arabs. They have, however, built quite a number of Privateers which have attacked several of my ships throughout the game. When I deal with Arabia through the diplomacy screen, my Advisor warns me that not to forget that Arabian armies have attacked me in the past.

I am assuming of course, it is the Privateer attacks that caused the Advisor's uncanny insight, and not some other unknown factor. I know I haven't seen this glitch before, and in the single player game it makes no difference whatsoever as it is exceedingly easy to determine who is sending Privateers after you. That said, I have no concept of the multi-player game, and if this is a consistent glitch/bug it may have some effect there.
    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

This is just one of those crazy little things...

Regarding MP games, the advisor tells you squat anyway, so I don't really think there would be any impact whatsoever.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

In active (non-PBEM) MP games it is easy to tell who's the clown with the privateers because anyone with the time to burn building pirates has a lot of units, and will probably be the last to finish his/her turn - so when everyone else is missing the "still moving" tilde in Simulturn and you see a privateer cruising around... look for the last tilde. Not foolproof, but workable.

In turn-based, it's very obvious who's the pirate.
      Friedrich Psitalon
      Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
      Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

The AI also know whose privateers have attacked them. I almost never build them under normal circumstances. I recently started playing the conquests in C3C, and was having fun with the AoD conquest. After winning my first game so easily, I decided to play it again as a pirate, and wreak havoc with everyone on the seas. I attacked Portugal repeatedly with privateers, and used a stack of privateers to block off the strait of gibraltar. Both Portugal and France dropped from polite to annoyed, and there was no other reason for them to do so.

Comment

Hum, I also noticed in my game that fairly early on the Babs and Persians had a real war (deadlocked and ended a few turns latter) and when Privateers became adivable both sides built lots of Privatters and have since been fighting a quasi-war with Privateers.

In Single Player, you can often tell which AI Privateers are really moving and attacking based on the timing between turns, especally if you have units positied to see non-hidden units.

Hum, I wonder if destroying Privateers causes the AI that built them to become upset with you?
          Last edited by joncnunn; April 21, 2004, 16:30.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I'm told that's the case, but I've not tested it.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

If so, it's pretty dumb and defeats the purpose of having them in the game in the first place!
              So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
              Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Working...
              X