Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

switching between C3C patches on the fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If swapping for a larger drive (and why else would one swap? ), you can also just take the cover off, plug the new drive into the same cable, set it up as a boot device, copy the old drive over onto it and cut out the CD burning, then do the physical swap. I'm not sure if you'll have to reinstall the OS (guessing yes, though), as I've only done this when swapping out slave drives. As far as the physical swap, vmxa nailed it. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

You either need to reinstall Windows, or boot into the Recovery Console from a Windows CD and run the 'bootcfg', 'fixmbr', and 'fixboot' commands on your new startup drive, once it is the only drive attached.

Comment

BTW I was presuming they would only mess with a none boot HD. I would not expect a novice to try to tackle it with only one drive.

It is no sweat for numb skulls like me that have lots of OS bootable disk laying around. Win98/ME/XP and DOS floppies.
        I mean DOS 5.0, not just Win9x startups.

Comment

back on topic here...

this is how to quickly switch between versions of C3C.

-make a directory (versionnumber) in civ3\conquests
          -copy conquests.biq, Civ3Conquests.exe and conquests\text to the new (versionnumber) directory

that makes a backup of your current version. install whatever patch, and repeat the same procedure. then to play another version, just copy the contents of the (versionnumber) directory over the files in civ3\conquest

its almost 6 megs per copy, and no screws, floppies, bios, OS upgrades, or formating involved

Comment

Working...
          X