Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

switching between C3C patches on the fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching between C3C patches on the fly?

How can i switch from one version of the patch to another?

is it simply recopying the civ3conquests.exe, conquests.biq and the Text directory?

You don't even have to do that. Just install the patch as normal and it will affect any ongoing games you have.

Edit: Sorry, I think I was answering the wrong question, but it should still work.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

i meant how can i switch back and forth, say from 1.12, to 1.15, to 1.20, then back to 1.15.

i think someone from firaxis posted how, i couldnt find the thread though

Comment

I haven't seen the thread either, but for the moment what I do is just install the game multiple times. Once Civ3 and PtW are installed, install Conquests. ALl of those files appear in a subdirectory of the main Civilization 3 directory called 'Conquests'. Rename this folder to something else, eg 'Conquests v1.00' Then reinstall the game - as it can't find the Conquests directory you renamed, it will happily install again. Patch this game to where you want it, then rename again. Keep reinstalling and patching until you have all ther versions you want. Then you will need to put shortcuts for each somewhere so you don't get confused.

It works.
        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

But how much space does it take up, MWIA?
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

about 1 gig + 500megs per new conquest install? I guess you could also delete all the conquests for each install to save some space.

still, there must be an easier way!

Comment

yes, you're right. I just checked, and it said 586MB, but I have a lot of saves, so ~500MB per install is the correct amount.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

With the HD of today what is a little space. I have about 14 GB of game images on one drive and more on another.

Comment

True, and you will always have at least one version of the game that can be cracked.

I would like to see a more practical approach, because smaller, older HDs will have little space remaining, and I like to keep about 3gig for virtual memory. Ok, I do have 22gig out of 30 spare, on a 3-year-old machine, but this is for others

Comment

Fpr the price a decent dinner they can add another HD of at least 40GB.

Comment

Yeah, but how many would trust themselves enough to fit the HD?

Comment

Anyone can do it, especially if they replace an existing one. Just burn files to Cd and remove the old one. Remove a few screw and one cable and one power lead.

Comment

And the OS? (I'm only asking because I'm thinking of upgrading my PC)

Comment

Anyone can do it, especially if they replace an existing one. Just burn files to Cd and remove the old one. Remove a few screw and one cable and one power lead
                            well thats just plain not true.

i can picture it now

yea i burned the old hardrive in the stove, put the CD into the drinks holder, pulled out the power cable and put the new hardrive into the box. why is my screen black when i press the on button?

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                              And the OS? (I'm only asking because I'm thinking of upgrading my PC)
                              Any OS that can handle the device, but XP is the most forgiving. Well any plug and play OS. IIRC the older ones will need you to go into the bios to define the new device.

Those with a bit more courage or experience can just add the extra drive if they have the bay and the controller to handle it.

Comment

Working...
                              X