How do the barb settings work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do the barb settings work?

I woke up early (been sick) and was wondering if anyone understood the settings for No Barbs, Sedentary and how they compare to Roaming?

The way I thought it was is that Sedentary meant no barbs wanderer around, you do get huts.

No barbs means just that, no huts, no barbs.

It seems that all three are the same, except no barbs mean no huts. You still get camps and barbs showing up in less than 10 turns. At least that is what I have seen on Sid.

IOW except for the huts, you may as well use roaming.
    I could understand, if when two civs hit the next age, you got uprisings, well not if No Barbs was selected.

I've never seen a Barb when "no Barbs" was selected... so your sighting them with that selected is interesting. You might want to view the game in debug mode to see where they came from.

Hope you're feeling better now.
    The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Anatole France

Comment

I think you do get barb camps on Sedentary, they just don't ever come after you. Or do they? Or maybe Sid overrides that to make your life harder.

Comment

Here is a shot after just a few turns in debug:
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by anarchie
          I think you do get barb camps on Sedentary, they just don't ever come after you. Or do they? Or maybe Sid overrides that to make your life harder.
          That is what I thought, you get camps, but they stay put.
          I play roaming all the time, but was messing around with it during some sid games and saw them after about 7 turns.

BTW I decided you are better of with it this way, Set to no barbs for Sid and have them spawn anyway. This slows down research as no huts and still keeps the AI busy running down barbs.

Just don;t use debug as it is painful to sit through and very depressing to see them drop their 3rd city before you road your first tile. Then see 5 cities all making settlers, oh so sad.

Comment

Where's your Snoopy Graphics?

And gosh darn, don't you think you need a little 'purple' to spruce things up a bit?

P.S. Start with six settlers each, that will 'even' things out a bit.
            The Graveyard Keeper
            Of Creation Forum
            If I can't answer you don't worry
            I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Yellow maybe, but not purple.

Comment

Anyway as soon as I posted the debug shot, I loaded back my normal game and got this:
                Attached Files

Comment

What the heck is the DEBUG doing on this game? I played another turn to see if it would go back to normal, but it shows my civs as DEBUG? It is not in debug mode as I do not see any moves by Inca's or America. I can't see what is on their land either.

Comment

Ok, I exited the game completely and start it up fresh and loaded the save and it is normal now. I guess I will know not to try to start a test run up with a game in progress.

Comment

Vmxa:

The difference between sedentary and roaming is that sedentary does not have any barbarian camps unless playing on a map in which the designer adds camps to the map if playing on a computer generated map there will only be huts (but barbs can be popped from them and start to wander around) With no barbs there are no barbs or huts.
                      * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                      * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                      * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                      * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

That is what I thought, but it does not seem to work that way now. I just ran that test with Debug and no barbs, but you can see them plain as day at around turn 7?

No huts exist at all. I looked all over.

Comment

all very mysterious
                          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Forgive the dumb question, but I've always seen people talk about debug but I've never know what it is. so could someone please tell me what it is for and how you do it?

Cheers!
                            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

In the game editor, load a scenario, go to the Scenario Properties. Find one-third down on left, debug next to some barbarian settings. Tick next to debug. Save. Load same from CIV content and play. What will happen?

You will see everything and going from CIV to CIV. Crack open a beer, listen to music this is going to take some time.
                              The Graveyard Keeper
                              Of Creation Forum
                              If I can't answer you don't worry
                              I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Working...
                              X