How do you understand this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you understand this?

Hi all. We on the SCS Formu were talking about the chances of losing or winning of a unit. We talked about the cgreat civcalculator and so.

But then I remebered this quite in the Civilization III Manual. (I post here because they are almost the same and this one is more active)...

Combat is essentially like a rapid-fire boxing match. Unit fight one-on-one rounds, with damage being subtracted from the hit point og the loser of each round. When one unit loses all it's hit points, it is destroyed.

The important factors in combat are the attack and defense strenghts of the combatans, as well as their hit point, the presence of veteran or elite units on either side, the terrain occupied by the defender, and any defensive improvements in the square. In addition to considering all of these factors, combat also includes an element of chance. Sometimes a unit just gets lucky...
    So, how do you understand the bold part?. That when more veteran or elite units are next to a unit this will have an extra bonus on it's attack ........

- or -

...... it's talking about the combat of these units themselves against the enemy gives you these boost?.

So, the question is:

It talkins about "the presence" of some kind of units or "the participation" of these units?.

Hope you can clarify it enough, and sorry if this have been answered before or perhaps it's too lame. (as you can understand, the translation and the interpretation says different things here...)

Fortune and Glory, here I come!!!.
    Indiana Jones
    Spanish Empire Civ for Civilization 5 (in Spanish/en Español)

I think it's an odd usage of the word "presence". In that context it does sound like stacked or nearby veteran units help a unit in combat...

the unit in combat is present for the conflict, hence the "presence" of a veteran or elite unit gives it a better chance when its in a fight (more hitpoints to lose before death).

They could have chosen a better way to express that. What page is that on by the way?
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

It's on page 93 of the Civ3 Manual.
      Indiana Jones

Comment

My page 93 is in Chapter 9 Civilization Advances and the specific page discusses "Climbing the Technology Tree".

I've looked in Chapter 8 Units and read some details about defensive modifers, etc. No wording similiar to what you quote.

EDIT: Ah...just found the exact quote in page 82 of my manual.
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

, mine say page 93, on the title "Calculating the Winner".

It's the Instruction Manual that came with "Game of the Year" Edition of Civ3 Vanilla.

Fortunaly, you found it in your manual too.
          Indiana Jones

Comment

It may also have to do with the chances of retreating for fast moving units.
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

1st edition sept 2001 p93 is tech tree.

Anyway having other units around has no effect on the combat for other units.

Comment

Re: How do you understand this?

Originally posted by The Slayer

So, how do you understand the bold part?. That when more veteran or elite units are next to a unit this will have an extra bonus on it's attack ........

- or -

...... it's talking about the combat of these units themselves against the enemy gives you these boost?.

So, the question is:

It talkins about "the presence" of some kind of units or "the participation" of these units?.

I've read the manual alot of times before, and I remember the exact paragraph you are talking about. It is basically saying that when elite units are present, they can last longer, essentially out-lasting the opposing unit. No bonuses of any kind are given except terrain bonuses and bonuses from fortresses and/or radar towers. Other units by the attacking or defending units have no effect on the outcome of the battle.

Comment

Then it's redundant. The paragraph already mentions hit points.

Comment

Haven't you learned yet not to trust the manual?
                    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                    X