Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any difference in scoring between the different ways of winning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any difference in scoring between the different ways of winning?

If they all have the same victory scoring bonus, wouldn't it be better to win by diplomacy if given the chance, rather than wait for the spaceship?

Not every game you play, will allow a diplomacy win.
    You are sometimes forced to break a few deals.

Hot_Enamel
    Warmonger

Plus some feel a spaceship victory is the most difficult and offers the biggest challenge. It therefore becomes the most satisfying irrespective of the final score.

I think those people are a bunch of tree hugging hippies.

Hot_Enamel
    Warmonger

j/k
    "No Comment"

Comment

Spaceship victory is only difficult if the AI is more or less on par with you. If you have the upper hand, spaceship victory is nothing more than sitting back in your territory and building stuff. The AI is not smart enough to attack your capital to destroy the spaceship.
      By comparison, domination or conquest requires much more effort. You have to prevent cultural flipping and deal with the furious civs due to your constant razing of cities.

Comment

In fact, the Civ2 AI is much better at the space race than the Civ3 AI. If you have played Civ2 OCC before, you will know that the AI can get all the techs and build the spaceship within a few turns if given the chance.
        The Civ3 AI always puts emphasis on the "wrong" techs and fail to get laser for example, allowing the human player to build the spaceship first even with a slow start. This is with Civ3 vanilla, perhaps C3C has corrected this?

Comment

Spaceship victory is definitely the easiest.
          Cultural victory is probably the hardest, especially 20K in a single city. I am not even sure that it is possible on higher difficulty levels.
          It is only totalitarian governments that suppress facts. In this country we simply take a democratic decision not to publish them. - Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister

Comment

Re: Any difference in scoring between the different ways of winning?

Originally posted by Fistleaf
            If they all have the same victory scoring bonus, wouldn't it be better to win by diplomacy if given the chance, rather than wait for the spaceship?
            The one that you can accomplish the fastest, yields a better score as time is a factor. To get a better score win by domination or conquest and play to 2050. This gives you more land and more cities and with offset the faster time.

Comment

The scoring system is unbalanced towards early conquest. My highest score was achieved when I played Monarch level on a small archipelago map and all 4 tribes happened to start at the same small island. I built 3 warriors, one archer and conquered the World in 2000 BC. 14000 points and game over in 20 minutes. Some epic wins on Emperor level did not even enter my personal HoF due to this unbalance.
              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
              X