Monitor problem....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor problem....

So I moved back home from college where I played Civ3 all the time, I brought my comp with me but not the monitor. I plug in the monitor we have back home (it's 2 inches smaller), start civ3 and i see this blurry screen of civ, with parallel versions of itself after every inch...

ex:
    |asdf|asdf|asdf|asdf|asdf|asdf|

where asdf is what i should be seeing across the whole screen, but it is copied into small parallel lines.

I searched for an answer and I found a place on these forums that said download "powerstrip" and make sure it is running. I did that (got the newest version), it is running, but it still occurs.

any help would be appreciated.

Bundy, this is most likely because of your home monitor not being capable of handling the 1024x768 resolution. Try switching to this resolution in Windows (w/o Civ3 running) - right-click on the Desktop, select Properties, Settings and try increasing the screen resolution to 1024x768. Then go to "Advanced" and under Adapter or Monitor, check the refresh rate - should be something like 60, 72, or 75 Hz. Then click "Apply" - and see if it works (if not, the screen settings will return to the previous working state in 15 seconds, no worries).

I suspect that you will get the same problem even without Civ3 - means your monitor is not capable of running 1024x768, which is the native mode for Civ3. There is a way of running Civ3 in 800x600, but I would suggest getting a new monitor instead...

Comment

ok i found another thing last night online, I changed the civ.ini file and inserted refresh =60 or something like that, and so now that works, but the minute i start a game i get an error and civ has to close....

grrrrrrr @ old monitor
      -----
      vondrack- i'm not gonna buy a new monitor just so i can play civ3 for like a week and then go back to school and use my newer monitor

Comment

There is a thread that talks about using an 800 res monitor.

Comment

Working...
        X