Something about corruption in size 1 cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something about corruption in size 1 cities

I just began a game in debug mode on a standard size map with only bonus Grasland on emperor. Looking for the most effective build order. I started placing cities around my capital, 4 tiles in between. The first three cities get 2 shields (Center+BG) on size 1, no corruption. But in city 4 I get 1 shield lost to corruption...
    After it gets to size 2 it acts like the other cities.

I only have 4 citys, all the same distance from the Capital.

Did you have a road connecting the two cities that suffered no corruption and no road connecting the one that suffered corruption? A road network has an effect on corruption suffered.

If that's not the case then maybe alexman can comment. He's drawn to corruption threads like a moth to a flame.

Comment

No roads. But connecting helps. City 4 also looses 1 commerce to corruption.
      In the other cities it doesnt matter if they are connected.
      Moving the city one tile closer to the capital helps too.
      I lately read this articles, but the little i understood was that rank corruption and the other stuff with FP just occurs after exceeding the optimal city number, and with 4 citys on standard im far away of this.
      Last edited by Sosoaha; March 19, 2004, 18:11.

Comment

You're using what is called Ring City Placement in which rings of cities are placed equidistant from the capital. Pre-C3C, cities in an RCP layout all enjoyed the lowest corruption factor based on city rank (i.e., each of your first four cities would be rank "1"). RCP was a bug / exploit that was addressed in C3C -- now cities equidistant from the capital don't share the same rank, they are ranked based on founding order, so your four cities now have ranks 1, 2, 3, and 4. (Higher rank = higher corruption).

What I suspect you're seeing is the impact of the lower rank on city 3 or 4. As to why the corruption seems to "disappear" when more shields come into play in each city, I'd be willing to bet that the issue is one of rounding. You can run the same test with a modified map in which each BG gives 100 shields -- the much larger number of shields produced (and subject to waste) would give evidence of rounding at play.

Catt

Comment

At size 12 city #3 gets 3/11 and city #4 4/10. As this is a quite simple example, maybe somebody could tell me the formula, so I can figure out how the difference between rank 3 and 4 makes my warrior take 10 instead 5 turns.

Comment

I don't understand your notation 3/11 and 4/10 (and warriors cost 10 shields, so 10- and 5-turn constructions would mean cities are producing 1 and 2 shields, respectively?)

In any event, though I couldn't find the thread on 'Poly (search function is messed up!), here is alexman's, the reigning king of corruption, Everything about Corruption: C3C Edition thread.

If you're not playing C3C, here is alexman's Everything you ever wanted to know about corruption thread.

Note that corruption changed significantly between C3C and prior versions of Civ.

Catt

Comment

Drawn like a moth to a flame, but still not fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                Drawn like a moth to a flame, but still not fast enough.
                Don't you know it's the second moth that gets the cheese? [Hmm...that's not quite right...]
                "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard
                  Don't you know it's the second moth that gets the cheese? [Hmm...that's not quite right...]
                  I think you mean "He who corrupts last, gets the grease"...
                  Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Working...
                  X