Problems with install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with install

Two questions, I'm hoping someone can answer for me.
    1. When trying to install C3C, The setup wizard does not allow me to choose where I want to install to. Does anyone know a way to get around this?

2. At about 8% into the install, I get the following message:

Component Transfer Erroor
    Component: Conquests
    File Group: Conquests
    File: D:\data2.cab
    Error: Data Error (cyclis redundancy check)

What does this mean, and is it something I should be worried about?

Re: Problems with install

Originally posted by TK-421
    Two questions, I'm hoping someone can answer for me.
    1. When trying to install C3C, The setup wizard does not allow me to choose where I want to install to. Does anyone know a way to get around this?
    Uninstall Civ3 and re-install it somewhere else. C3C must be installed as a subdirectory of Civ3.

2. At about 8% into the install, I get the following message:

Component Transfer Erroor
    Component: Conquests
    File Group: Conquests
    File: D:\data2.cab
    Error: Data Error (cyclis redundancy check)

What does this mean, and is it something I should be worried about?
    Sorry, no idea what that means.

Comment

Apparently the transfer error is something I should worry about, the install keeps crashing at this point. Is there someone out there who would e-mail me the data2.cab file?

Kloreep, thanks for the info, apparently my disk automatically installs the game to the last folder I downloaded something to. I downloaded the civ patch to my Civ folder and that part at least seems to be okay now.

Comment

Finaly got it. It turns out that the Component error does not consistly turn up during installation, it just happened to occur at the same point twice in a row. tried a few more installs. It showed up a couple more times at different points during the installation, but fianlly managed to get all the way through. I have now played my first complete game without problems (knock on wood).

Big suprise but I contacted Atari support at the same time I originally posted this and I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Comment

Sounds good have fun.

Comment

That error means you either have a scratched CD or a defective CD-ROM drive (or maybe just the lens is dirty). I had a similar problem on my machine, until I cleaned the lens.
            Try installing on another machine. If you still get the error, it's the CD. If not, it's the CD-ROM drive.
            The monkeys are listening.

Comment

SOLUTION TO INSTALLATION PROBLEM

I had the same problem, surfed the internet for solutions, found none, and ... EUREKA ... I found a popular program called Virtual CD and used it to fix my Civilization 3 cd errors.

SO HERE IS THE SOLUTION:

1. Download Virtual CD at http://www.virtualcd-online.com.

2. Create a virtual cd copy of your Civilization 3 cd into your hard drive.
              Note: Use the default Virtual CD settings - this already fixes the cd errors.

3. After creating the virtual cd copy, eject the real Civilization 3 cd from your CD drive (Drive D:) and insert the Civilization 3 virtual cd into the virtual hard drive (usually Drive E:).

4. Reinstall Civilization 3 using the Civilization 3 virtual cd.

GOOD LUCK ...

Comment

Working...
              X