Miscellaneous ideas for improving Civ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miscellaneous ideas for improving Civ

Change Longbowman to 4.2.1. Right now the Longbowman is a joke; this change would make it actually worth building in some situations and make Babylonian Bowmen more appealing as well.

More controversially, take this a step further and get rid of Medieval Infantry.

Give Japan some other starting tech with its militaristic trait. Currently, since they start with Wheel and thus are the first ones to see horses, there's almost no advantage from being able to build Samurai without them.

Make the probability of getting a SGL when being first to a tech depend on the number of techs the player has previously been the first to research and how many times (perhaps also how recently) SGLs were received.

Give Guerillas better terrain/city bonuses on defense and perhaps have them reduce opposing terrain/city bonuses on attack, adjusting their combat values if necessary to retain balance. (Think of Vietnam.)

Toss Feudalism (the government, not the tech) and Fascism (both). Very few people like them and they cause the AI to self-destruct.
    Last edited by jensend; February 7, 2004, 20:30.

Gee, jensend visit the 'game editor' and have it all your way and tell us how it works.

For instance, I found the Longbowman plenty powerful enough if you introduce them earlier...

And the Medieval Infantry look cool, why sacrifice that?

I modded the Samurai to 'Assassin' and gave everybody a crack at using them. Additionally making them 'invisible with hidden nationality'. So you cannot stop who is nailing you diplomatically.

As far as getting SGL, heck with it, it is Armies that count. I now have every palace in the game spitting one out every 15 turns just like clockwork. Now I know everyone has them and someone besides me is using them, because I do not get 'golden age' from them anymore for first use. I will have try harder and not be so picky about what I place in the first Army.

I have no beef with Guerillas as they now are.

I tossed out 'all governments' and created one for all, 'Imperialism'. No need now to even worry about switching.

Anyway,
    Happy Gaming
    The Graveyard Keeper
    Of Creation Forum
    If I can't answer you don't worry
    I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

I'm just tossing these ideas out there to see if anybody likes any of them

Of course, I can't change the SGL probability or or give the described ability to Guerillas using the editor, so I don't know how those would play out. I don't really have any beef with Guerillas as they now are, I just thought the described change would be more historically accurate and introduce some interesting tactical variation.

I've always thought Medieval Infantry was an indistinctive unit thrown in as a second thought and that there's only room for one passable slower-moving attack unit in the early Middle Ages. I think it works well to have that unit be an upgrade for archers.

Comment

MI: A good addition.
        Longbow: fine for its cost IMO.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Longbowmen are an absolute godsend for civs trapped on an island without iron, like I am in my current game. Without longbowmen, I'd be forced to rely on my archers and horsemen.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

What's wrong with Fascism? I use it all the time, I get Steam Power, Nationalism, thne Fascism when I get to the industrial age and my workers now have 200% efficiency for when I start building my network of railroads.
            New American UU: Al Gore-Eliminates pollution and you get "The Internet" great wonder instantly.

New Hittite MGL: Howard Dean(listen to what their UU sounds like when it attacks)

Comment

I think the graphics for the MI work well for a Mercenary unit with the Hidden Nationality. That way they can bonk some heads without starting a war.

Comment

Gosh darn, GehangisFarb just another wonderful mod idea, I like it!
                The Graveyard Keeper
                Of Creation Forum
                If I can't answer you don't worry
                I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Working...
                X