Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 3 conquests CD just broke in half

My computer is on the floor.

My conquests CD was on top of my computer.

I went to grab the cd to put it into the drive to play.

I accidently dropped it on the way to the drive, and when it hit the ground, it broke in half.

Now, i didn't make a back up of this game. What can i do? I live in australia. Does this mean i have to buy a new copy, hunt for a *beep* version, or look for a *beep* crack. Or do you think i can scunge a new copy form firaxis or however (atari?)

Anyways. What a damn flimsy CD. I've dropped cd/dvd's before, and none just broke like this. I've even trown them full pelt at a hard wall, and i've never seen one just brake.

Had to happen to my favorite game too.

What did you do? Has anyone had a legit game just brake before?
    Last edited by snoochems; February 6, 2004, 07:21.

First of all, you aren't allowed to discuss pirating or no-cd cracks on this site. You ought to edit that part of you post.

That said, you should try contacting the publisher(?) and see if they send replacement disks (for a nominal fee, probably). Otherwise, you'll have to shell out the money for a new copy. I know nothing of how they do things, but they'll probably ask for proof of purchase (sale receipt and proof-of-purchase code from the box) and a photo of the disk might add a few points in your favor...maybe, you never know.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Hey, i don't know what it is like in the US, but in Australia, it is perfectly legal to have pirate/copied games if you own the original. That means you can even make your own copies.
      I have 'backups' of all my games, and for the life of me, i don't know why i didn't cpoy conquests.

I'll edit out what i said, but i still think i have not mentioned anything illegal. I have made it clear i own the original, and what i have paid for is what was on the CD. Not the CD it self. (although that is included). The CD is broken, but that doesn't mean i still don't own (a lisence) the data/game on the cd.

Comment

Originally posted by snoochems
        Hey, i don't know what it is like in the US,
        Think: "Jack boots" and "Goose stepping"

Copyright holders are REALLY sensitive when it comes to their "intellectual property." Apolyton prefers to avoid the whole messy discussion all together. Safer that way.

but in Australia, it is perfectly legal to have pirate/copied games if you own the original. That means you can even make your own copies.
        I have 'backups' of all my games, and for the life of me, i don't know why i didn't cpoy conquests.
        Fair-use laws I believe allow us to do the same, but currently it's still foggy legality.

I'll edit out what i said, but i still think i have not mentioned anything illegal. I have made it clear i own the original, and what i have paid for is what was on the CD. Not the CD it self. (although that is included). The CD is broken, but that doesn't mean i still don't own (a lisence) the data/game on the cd.
        Indeed, I agree. Anyway, I've said all I can so good luck.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

You can send it back to Firaxis,but beside loosing a great amount of time before having a new one you will also have to spend money for the double expedition.

Moreover I am quite confident they won't perform such a replacement.

I'm afraid you have to buy a new one,an original new one.

Civ deserves an original suite

Gunter

Comment

If you send your disk to Atari, I'm fairly certain they will replace it for a nominal handling fee to cover shipping.

Don't send it to Firaxis or Breakaway, they'd have to go to a store to get a copy to send out (unless they happen to have a couple laying around).

BTW, Atari does allow backups for this purpose.

The details on this are in the Readme.txt in your Civ3 directory. Read them or they will send your package back unopened.
            Seemingly Benign
            Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

man that sucks

I imagine that sending it in for the replacement will take a while. Does atari have an oz address even? Yikes.

maybe you could get lucky and find it at a used game store or something.

Comment

Sorry to hear it. I use a virtual CD app to avoid exposure to that sort of thing.

It is common for companies to replace a defective Cd for the cost of shipping. I am not sure if that constitutes a defect, but I would hope the will honor it anyway.

If it is honored it will take weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                  Sorry to hear it. I use a virtual CD app to avoid exposure to that sort of thing.

It is common for companies to replace a defective Cd for the cost of shipping. I am not sure if that constitutes a defect, but I would hope the will honor it anyway.

If it is honored it will take weeks.
                  link?
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Deleted
                    Last edited by vmxa1; February 11, 2004, 13:19.

Comment

does that use up much ram vmxa1?

Comment

Re: Civ 3 conquests CD just broke in half

"This Conquest, should you choose to accept it, will be difficult. As always the President of Atari will disavow any knowledge of your actions should you or you fellow game players be caught. This CD will self destruct in 5 seconds............."

Comment

it costs monies? bah!
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Yes it cost about 50 US, but it is a bargain. Considering no damaged CD's, no listening to the CD spin, no need to do full installs for the video. Let it ise the Cd as it is on the HD anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                              does that use up much ram vmxa1?
                              Not sure about the RAM, if you mean memory. I have 1GB so, it should not matter.

The big space requirement is for the images. They are 1:1 copies of the CD. So they can be up to nearly 800MB.

Oneof the smallest is MooII at less than 300MB. The smallest are the two expansions for Hom4 at less than 200MB.
                              I filled up a 36gb drive and had to start using my Fat32 drive of 80GB.

I could delete the installation stuff, but then you won't be able to reinstall.

For DiabloII you need all three disk. The Cime disk is used when you go to a new act.

Anyway I love it. I did not care for Daemon Tools, but it was a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X