X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

were you at war?

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Nope and nope and the only other cities it had roads to were mine.
      Certain resource trading concepts are non-intuitive and may seem unrealistic (or even crazy!) in Civ III (and have always been so from the get go, AFAIK).

If the enemy civ is importing resources, those imported resources can actually use your road network to get to your enemy provided the deal hasn't yet been broken due to your blockade of enemy resources. In other words, when the only trade route left goes through your territory, your enemy cannot export resources but can still import them. If the enemy was trading resource for resource, your effective blockade breaks the deal and the importation stops; but if the enemy was trading gold, techs, etc. for an imported resource, your blockade doesn't break the deal, and doesn't stop the flow of imported goods.

To make this more clear, imagine this example: your enemy is France; you are Germany; the third party trading civ is England. If France is importing iron from England in exchange for a tech that it gave to England, so long as any connection exists to the French capital (even through your lands), the iron arrives safely -- it is as if you have given a pledge to England that you will not molest English traders, even as they carry precious iron across the battlelines to your hated enemy. Had France traded horses to England for English iron, your blockade would have disrupted the trade since you are not permitting French horses to pass through your territory (and the English, deprived of their horses, will no longer deliver iron to France).

Even in those situations in which foreign goods continue to make it into the enemy lands, there are at least three ways to disrupt the trade: (1) sever all connections, including your own, to the enemy capital; (2) secure a trade embargo against the enemy from the enemy's trading partner; or (3) declare war against the enemy's trading partner. In may not seem logical or terribly realistic, but as I said, this is, I believe, how resource trading and trading networks in Civ have always worked.

Catt

Comment

Thanks Catt that was what I was trying to refer to ealier, but could not remeber the details.

Comment

Doesn't answer my question though.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
            Post a save or a screenshot and maybe I or someone else can help.

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
              without the screen shots hard to make a guess...

id think that yes they have blockeaded the route somehow. you will need to sail from home to a port and check the route....
              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

I'd say subs if it were not for him saying that he has dozens of ports on both sides.

You do have harbours built in all those ports, yes AH?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

If you start building a unit and then have your city cut off, you can continue and finish that unit, but you cannot build any more until the resource is reattached.

Keep a look out for barb Galleys - they can stack up for some time, and especailly early in the game when sea routes are very tenuously winding through coast tiles a barb can accidentally block you off and cause all sorts of nightmares with trading civs, as you tend to get blamed.....
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                  X