Middle Ages and the Plague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle Ages and the Plague

I am playing my first middle ages scenario as the English, Ive conquered the Celts, the Franks, the civ from north Spain Castille plus a few Viking cities.

Ive started getting the Plague in the last few turns, what I am wondering is this, is there any way to combat the plague or do you just have to put up with it ?

Ive got two units carrying relics in a city I got from the Franks at the bottom of the Itallian peninsular.

My next question is should I take all my units from Spain and Italy and strike out for Jerusalem or try to conquer more lands first.

Why is tech so expensive in this scenario, Im using 1.12 does 1.15 make any difference to tech costs ?

I would like to post a save for people to take a look at but the file is just too big and the upload wont work. If anybody would be interested then I can email it to you.
    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

I don't understand the plague either, I couldn't find any info on the nuts and bolts of how it worked. Here's hoping someone who does posts a description.

Comment

Re: Middle Ages and the Plague

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus

Ive started getting the Plague in the last few turns, what I am wondering is this, is there any way to combat the plague or do you just have to put up with it ?
      There's nothing you can do about it, it's a completely random thing. There area few parameters that you can adjust in the editor though. You'll find these in the Scenario Properties area. Other than that, it just grin and bear it. Sometimes it goes on forever, sometimes you don't get it at all. However things like roads and Walls have an impact.

Comment

When I played as the French, the plague was a pest (duh), but as the Swedes I got none (which is not historically correct).
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I had the plague and it lasted about 20-30 turns before it suddenly vanished. It spread via roads and it destroyed military units as well as lowering pop. Loved the swirling vultures....

The Civilopedia was patently silent on the subject. You just have to spray for fleas, do your rodent control, bury your dead, and hope it doesn't hit that front-line city that's getting lined up by the other civ.

Comment

I suppose that it makes fortresses much more important ? Ive pulled all my troops out of affected cities so borders would need keeping tightly closed
            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

There was an explanation of how the plague works in this thread:

jon.
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

and if you don't want to read the whole thread:

Here is a quick explanation of the Plague in the Middle Ages scenario.

Start by looking at the "4 Middle Ages.BIQ" file in the editor and look at the Disasters! tab in the Scenario Properties dialog.

It lists:
                "Earliest Start = 1346" ... means that the AVERAGE date it starts in 1346 AD (the historical date)

"Variance = 50" ... as explained in the editor online help, this is a measure of how variable the actual chosen start date is from 1346 AD.

"Duration = 50" ... number of years plague will remain active ACROSS THE ENTIRE MAP (affecting all Civs) once it starts

"Strength = 100" ... the Black Death in the Middle Ages scenario is set to be the strongest possible type of plague

"Grace Period = 100" ... normally minimum number of years between plagues, but it is irrelevant in this case due to the next entry

"Max Occurrences = 1" ... plague will never come back after its 50 year-run in this scenario.

Plague affects both units in cities and the population of cities.

It affects all players at the same time.

As I recall, the chance of a city contracting plague is determined by the level of trade going on in that city (harbors, resources, etc.), the size of the city, the strength of the plague, and whether or not there are walls (walls increase the chance of plague).

Once a city has contracted plague, all you can do is wait it out (and move out the military units if possible).
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                X