Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shouldn't commercial allow for cheaper commerce-based improvements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldn't commercial allow for cheaper commerce-based improvements?

Religious = cheaper religious-based improvements
    Scientific = cheaper scientific improvements
    Agricultural = cheaper agricultural improvements
    Seafaring = cheaper sea-based improvements
    Militaristic = cheaper military buildings

Commercial = all improvements have standard cost

What was the reasoning for this? Why doesn't commercial allow for cheaper marketplaces, banks and stock exchanges (as well as making Adam Smith's cheaper)? We all talk about commercial being dubious in the ancient age. Well, reducing the cost of marketplaces would help to make commercial civs seriously rich in the early part of the game.

Does anyone else agree? Or are commercial improvements already cheaper and I just haven't noticed?

Marketplaces or banks should be enough.

Comment

Commercial civs should have more gold overall, yes? And thus are able to afford all improvements more easily.

(But I had the same thought too, back when.)
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

what about expansionists getting cheaper grainaries?

Comment

No, I'd say that pretty definately falls under Agricultural.

I think Commercial should get cheaper Marketplaces, at least. That alone would be a nice boost.

Comment

I don't think that Expansionistic should get cheaper Granaries; that is agricultural. Cheaper Courthouses, though, that would make sense and perhaps the Forbidden Palace would be nice too. As to Commercial, I would think cheaper Marketplaces, Banks, and Stock Exchanges would be a nice touch. Perhaps Commerical Harbors, as well.

Comment

at cheaper courthouses. that would be a useful addition [sarcasm]

I see how you would think cheaper graineries=ag, but cheaper graineries=faster growth=greater expansion, imho.

Comment

Expansionist doesn't really need a boost, but cheaper Courthouses (and maybe Police Stations) couldn't hurt.

I just had an idea - why not cheaper Aqueducts (and maybe Hospitals)? Cheaper Aqueducts = more growth = expansion, and it lets us leave Granaries as Agricultural.

Oh, and I think "Commercial Docks" should probably be Commercial

Comment

Expansionists are easy - they should get cheaper settlers . Either in shields or food or both. Isn't it pretty much the definition what (non-militaristic) expansionism is all about?

And I'd rather give scouts to militarists.

If commercial worked as advertised - ie reduced corruption - that would be #1 trait. As it stands now, it's kinda silly: it helps large, far-flung empires a little bit. But if you have managed to create such an empire, you obviously don't need any extra help
                  It is only totalitarian governments that suppress facts. In this country we simply take a democratic decision not to publish them. - Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister

Comment

Cheaper settlers isn't possible.

Comment

Perhaps Ind = cheaper factories/power plants/Hoover? Much later in the game than the other traits, but that is cushioned by the increased worker rate.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

In fact, has anyone ever considered making all wonders cheaper for those civs that share that wonder's traits? If a wonder is com/ind, a exp/ind civ could build it for 25% cheaper, and a com/ind civ could build it for 50% cheaper?
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

That is also impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                            Perhaps Ind = cheaper factories/power plants/Hoover? Much later in the game than the other traits, but that is cushioned by the increased worker rate.
                            Industrious doesn't need a boost.

Comment

I don't think we're discussing what is possible versus impossible, since it is equally evident that we cannot change the traits, but they can with a patch.

That said, half-rate buildings and wonders of the appropriate type makes perfect sense to me.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X