No announcement yet.

Black Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it only happen in the scenarios, or in the main/random game also?

Comment

Originally posted by ratster
      Does it only happen in the scenarios, or in the main/random game also?
      Only in certain scenarios. However, you can edit the original game to make it occur there as well. When the final big-change-patches are done, I think I'll inlcude it.

Comment

Firaxis provided a scenario with C3C that enables the plague (that's the only rules change, and there's no map).

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
          As it is, without date, this is sorta reminding me of how the actual civilizations reacted to the real plague...
          Originally posted by Switch

They asked their god for the details of the plague, and barring that got a top notch scientist to do testing on it?

And I'm not so sure they were too quick on quarintine either...
          Hehe... or you can just single out one of the conquered minorities in your civ as the scape-goat, and pop-rush or starve them away for that added touch of brutal realism.

jon.
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

It's called "with plagues"

I'm also placed my modifications into that file to avoid touching the standard one.

My first change was that I increased the plague effects.

Originally posted by skywalker
            Firaxis provided a scenario with C3C that enables the plague (that's the only rules change, and there's no map).
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Plague as a weapon?

I wonder whether anyone has used plague as a weapon. For example, send one of the units from a plague-infested city across the border to a neighboring civ and see what happens.

Has anyone done something like this?

Comment

Evil, Purple, evil. I like it.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Re: Plague as a weapon?

Originally posted by Purple
                  I wonder whether anyone has used plague as a weapon. For example, send one of the units from a plague-infested city across the border to a neighboring civ and see what happens.

what about gifting a plagued city?

Comment

Re: Re: Plague as a weapon?

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

what about gifting a plagued city?
                    Now there's an evil twist!
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I doubt the unit would do anything... but gifting a plague-city almost definately would.

Even better, make a quick strike to take one of their cities, wait for it to catch plague, then sue for peace, giving it back

Comment

Re: Plague as a weapon?

Originally posted by Purple

Plague isn't spread by units moving from city to city therefore this wouldn't have any effect.

Gobi Bear (Ed Beach, the BreakAway Games producer of Conquests) posted the following on CivFanatics a while ago which explains a bit about how plague works and the editor settings for it.

Here is a quick explanation of the Plague in the Middle Ages scenario.

Start by looking at the "4 Middle Ages.BIQ" file in the editor and look at the Disasters! tab in the Scenario Properties dialog.

It lists:
                        "Earliest Start = 1346" ... means that the AVERAGE date it starts in 1346 AD (the historical date)

"Variance = 50" ... as explained in the editor online help, this is a measure of how variable the actual chosen start date is from 1346 AD.

"Duration = 50" ... number of years plague will remain active ACROSS THE ENTIRE MAP (affecting all Civs) once it starts

"Strength = 100" ... the Black Death in the Middle Ages scenario is set to be the strongest possible type of plague

"Grace Period = 100" ... normally minimum number of years between plagues, but it is irrelevant in this case due to the next entry

"Max Occurrences = 1" ... plague will never come back after its 50 year-run in this scenario.

Plague affects both units in cities and the population of cities.

It affects all players at the same time.

As I recall, the chance of a city contracting plague is determined by the level of trade going on in that city (harbors, resources, etc.), the size of the city, the strength of the plague, and whether or not there are walls (walls increase the chance of plague).

Once a city has contracted plague, all you can do is wait it out (and move out the military units if possible).

Comment

Comment

Once a city has contracted plague, all you can do is wait it out (and move out the military units if possible).
                            That and pray, pray, pray to the RNG gods.

jon.
                            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                            X