Upgrading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading

Ok I have finally beat the Fall of Rome conquest and now am trying the middle ages conquest. One problem I noticed right away is that for some unknown reason I cannot upgrade the Horsemen to knights. What I do know is that I can build new ones and I do have a barrack in the city that I am trying to upgrade in. Is there something else I need to do so I can upgrade the horsemen.

Desperately in need of help!

The scenario may restrict upgrading. Otherwise you need to have enough money, a barracks, the tech and movement points left.

Comment

I haven't tried that Scenario yet so don't know the specifics. Do you have the required Resources?

Also, are your Horsemen in a town w/ a Barracks? You can't upgrade units 'in the field'.
      (Plus what vmxa1 said.)

Steven
      "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by steven8r
        I haven't tried that Scenario yet so don't know the specifics. Do you have the required Resources?

Also, are your Horsemen in a town w/ a Barracks? You can't upgrade units 'in the field'.
        (Plus what vmxa1 said.)

Steven
        I guess you didn't read what I typed other wise you would have noticed that I did have them in a town and it did have a barracks in it. Also since I am capable to build a knight then I should be able to upgrade. These were not the answers I was looking for because I allready stated that I checked them allready. It turns out that the other guy who responded was on the right track about money. I forgot all about the upgrade cost and didn't relize that it needed a 120 gold to upgrade to a knight. So problem solved and I am now happy.

Comment

Sorry, I thought I had edited my post to include the part about the new units being available in the Build List. Either I suffered a computer lag while posting, or else a brain lag--thinking that I had posted something.

Yep, vmxa1 has been around awhile and I don't know if he knows all, but at times it sure seems like it.

Steven
          "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Yeah C3C raised the price on upgrades and that caught me the first time. I could see why I could not upgrade my unit. After a few turns I had enough cash and lo and behold.

The reason I know those mistakes is I have made them all. No movement and could no upgrade got me once or twice.
            There was a bug that allowed the mass upgrade to get around that.

Comment

vmxa1, I believe that that bug is still around. I've been able to move a unit into a city--using-up all his mvmt, but been able to activate another unit and Shift+U to get the one w/o mvmt left. I think I've done this in C3C. Haven't tried since the last beta patch though.

Steven

Comment

Re: Upgrading

Most likely without having played middle ages are possibility that in that scerenio Horsemen don't upgrade to Knights or else you don't have enough cash.

For any conquest, look up each unit's stats and upgrade path. They may very a lot from standard. Same applies to city improvements, govts, and techs.

Originally posted by JohnDoe3815
                Ok I have finally beat the Fall of Rome conquest and now am trying the middle ages conquest. One problem I noticed right away is that for some unknown reason I cannot upgrade the Horsemen to knights. What I do know is that I can build new ones and I do have a barrack in the city that I am trying to upgrade in. Is there something else I need to do so I can upgrade the horsemen.

Desperately in need of help!
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by steven8r
                  vmxa1, I believe that that bug is still around. I've been able to move a unit into a city--using-up all his mvmt, but been able to activate another unit and Shift+U to get the one w/o mvmt left. I think I've done this in C3C. Haven't tried since the last beta patch though.

Steven
                  I'm not surprised as it has come and gone a few times. It an exploit, so I don't use, thats why I am not up to date on its status.

Comment

I'm not convinced it is a bug or an exploit. SMAC/X has the identical thing going with regard to individual versus mass upgrades, so it's been around for years.

I think of it as a reward for being able to save enough cash for a mass upgrade in the first place.
                    Last edited by The Mad Monk; January 24, 2004, 04:04.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Well since they went to the trouble of patching it out once, they must have felt it did not belong, but it is no big deal. I only once had a real use for it. Way back in CivIII, if I had no upgrade a unit that way it would have made a difference.

Comment

I'd imagine if you were dealing with more than a dozen units it would be rather tedious trying to upgrade all of them one at a time - thats why the 'upgrade all' is there, really.

This is one piece of micromanagement that I would draw the line at, so if it ain't fixed then it's too tedious in most circumstances to worry about playing completely by the intended rules.
                        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                        X