Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How could they have the calvary already???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How could they have the calvary already???

I was messing around with a new map the other day and doing quite well! I took out one civ and was reducing another so I could control the whold continent.

Then I found a new island and start building there when the iroqois showed up. They had two other techs that I didnt have The republic and moythesis (however its speeled I was just entering the new age so I thought I'd kick them off the island!!! After I started a war with them.....Just as I started the war I notice my advisor say ....(THE STRONGEST TROOP THE IROQOIS HAVE THAT WE KNOW OF IS THE CALVARY) How is this possible as they didnt have military tradition yet???

I still kicked them off the island and I didnt see any calvary but thats because we were still using galleys and they probably didnt have the time to send them.
    UT Maniac UT Maniac Home to over 500 tutorials for Unreal editing!

It might be possible that you read it wrong. I think it might have read:
    "The strongest troop the Iroquois have that we know of is the ANCIENT Calvary."

If you check the F7 key I will bet that they have built the Statue of Zues Wonder. Try checking it out and let us know.
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I will check it out but im almost positive that it said only calvary. I have some saves of the game so I will go back and check.

I bet your right about that as well.

Comment

Why do you say they don't have calv? Is it because you tried a trade and did not see that tech offered? If so, that is not conclusive. They don't show you tech that you do not have the prereq for.

Comment

My bet would be on them having the Statue of Zeus.

Comment

Whether it is cavalry or ancient cavalry, you should understand that the tech trading table will not tell you how advanced and AI civ is if that civ is more advanced than you are. Only the techs that the AI has, and that you have the required pre-requisite techs, will show up as tradable from the AI. In other words, you'll only see the next level techs that you don't have if you're trading with an advanced AI civ.

Example: Assume you just entered the Medieval Age. Assume we somehow know that an AI civ has advanced all the way through Astronomy (say we get a pop-up announcing that they are building Magellan's Voyage). When you go to the trading table with that AI civ, you'll only see Monothesim. If you buy Monotheism, you'll suddenly see Theology as available for trade. Buy that, and you'll see Education; buy that and Astronomy appears. The AI is not manufacturing techs out of nowhere -- it is simply that you can't "see" techs that you yourself cannot discover / trade for because you don;t have a required earlier tech (and also just as you can't see "Iron" as available for trade when you already possess your own iron).

Catt

Comment

Well it said they had The republic and moythesis (however its speeled until the last time I check when I was on invention.

So if that were the case I would of seen gunpowder if that were the case. If im understand ing you right.

My bet is with the ancient calvary.

Although that is news to me that you didnt see all the nme's techs.

I noticed if you establish a embasy with someone it only shows the cities you see in the screen but if you go to the diplomatic screen it shows all the cities. I thought this was wierd as well.

Comment

Originally posted by techbota
                Well it said they had The republic and moythesis (however its speeled until the last time I check when I was on invention.

So if that were the case I would of seen gunpowder if that were the case. If im understand ing you right.

My bet is with the ancient calvary.

Although that is news to me that you didnt see all the nme's techs.

I noticed if you establish a embasy with someone it only shows the cities you see in the screen but if you go to the diplomatic screen it shows all the cities. I thought this was wierd as well.
                ...how would you be able to see saltpeter without the Gunpowder tech?

Could you post a save?
                oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

He meant that he would have been able to see the GP tech in the diplo screen, not saltpeter on the map.
                  Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                  1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

He meant that he would have been able to see the GP tech in the diplo screen, not saltpeter on the map.
                    CORRECT

Comment

Never mind.
                      oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by techbota
                        . . . I noticed if you establish a embasy with someone it only shows the cities you see in the screen but if you go to the diplomatic screen it shows all the cities. I thought this was wierd as well.
                        You can only see the AI's cities that you can phisically see from your explorers. i.e. from the map squares that you uncover. When you build an Embassy, you are essentially looking-out from their capital and are only able to see what is visible from that 1 city (upto and 1 beyond the city's radius).

They may have cities (listed on the Diplomacy screen) that are in as yet uncovered (by you) map squares. I guess that they are listed in the Diplo screen because your Ambasador has 'heard' of them, but hasn't actually 'seen' them. You won't be able to see these 'phantom' cities until you get their Territory Map, or get them as part of a Peace Treaty.

It's frustrating when you're trying to 'investigate' an AI city to check on its Wonder Progress or something and the city doesn't show on your Espionage screen.

Get Navigation (I think that's the tech) for the ability to Trade Maps, OR get ROP and scout-out their territory for yourself (or just start scouting and get asked/told to leave quite often) and this problem will be solved.

Steven

Edit: spelling /edit
                        "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                        X