X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ducki
    "Ducki Does C3C at Emperor".
    LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Your mistakes assume that your nuewbie doesn't prefer to be a builder ratherr than a conqueror.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The top noob mistake is thinking you are not a noob.

After that I'd go with poor worker useage, overdefending, and not expanding quickly enough at the beginning.

Comment

I'm playing my third game of SP so Jimmy is probably right - damn newbies

But I like to have a nice balanced army.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

#1 n00b mistake: Not reading all the Apolyton forum tips!

Comment

Having a nice balanced army, or whatever floats your boat to enjoy playing the game is very important. I like balanced armies, usually no more than 1/4-1/3 horse or armor!

Much more important than playing most efficiently
              (unless "playing most efficiently" is what "floats your boat").

Comment

I should post a screen shot - if I could remember how.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                  I should post a screen shot - if I could remember how.

Use the browse option to point to the file you want to post. It has to less 500KB.

Comment

newbie mistake #1: thinking civ3 is civ2.
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Xorbon

3. Underestimating the power of artillery.

3 can also be grouped with 1, since arty are infrastructure cripplers mostly... poor killers, though.
                      My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

Other newbie mistakes:

Waiting too long to change from despotism once you acquire monarchy/republic.

Not taking into account which UU an enemy has when you're planning to attack.

Waiting until the industrial/modern era to make war, "'cause that's when all the cool 'power' units become available".

When another civ demands tribute, either: always giving in; or (being stubborn and) never giving in, even when the other civ could kick your a$$. (Think of that old Kenny Rogers song, "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em...")

Not ever bothering to adjust the tax/science/luxuries sliders.
                        "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Losing hundreds of prods building wonders in which the AI has also started. (on higher levels)

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX
                            newbie mistake #1: thinking civ3 is civ2.
                            A lot can be put under this category:

the over-emphasis on Wonders, heading towards Democracy as the best government to be in, not giving a toss for diplomacy....
                            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I just played Freeciv with some folks and I lost, mostly because I had played too much C3C lately. I had forgotten how Civ2 rules worked...

Comment

One thing I was very guilty of when I first started playing was working every tile for a city right from the start. I'd have size 3 cities with every tile around it developed. And at the same time I didn't have enough workers to do that for every city so while I was working to fully work one city another was sitting there undeveloped. Of course everyone here sorted me out.

So I agree with the above, another newbie mistake is not coming to 'poly.
                                Holy Cow!!! BigDork's Back!

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?

Comment

Working...
                                X