regaining tech after a long war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regaining tech after a long war

i was just playing an emperor game where i was ito a lenghty early middle age war. because of that I starting falling way back in tech by the time i was nearly done crushing my opponent.

the other AIs were up to physics, democracy, metalurgy, while i was still researching invention/theology. I knew i was going to have troubles if I didn't gain a tech boost after the war.

what was going for me was that my opponent had the great library. So I knew at least I could gain at least 3 free techs, up to education. I didn't get just three though, I got each tech known by 2 or + civs, right up to physics (only known by one). luckily contact with all 8 civs was done a few turns before.

so basically if a sizable neighbor exists with the great library, you could put 0 gold into science and just overun the AI with units, and save the great library for last, at which point you could resume science funding to get back into the science race.

I imagine it would also be possible to save the great library until the AIs (at least 2) are way into the industrial age, while your civ keeps on consolidating your area with tons of military. Then for the final attack, take the great library and go from backwards people to technologicaly advanced

the save attached is right before I take the city with a great library. the following turn all the free techs come in, and it's for C3C.
    Attached Files

Yes you can get all the tech known to at least two civs at that point. It can be beyond education.

Comment

you can? wow that´s really good to know
      You saw what you wanted
      You took what you saw
      We know how you did it
      Your method equals wipe out

Comment

In previous civ games (civ 1 at least) it used to be that wonders ran out when ANYONE got the cancelling advance. but currently, it's when the owning civ gets the advance. And in this case, you only have it cancelled once the turn is doen with, and the effects used
        In theory, you could pick up integrated defence with it
        It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
        She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

Originally posted by Cerbykins
          In previous civ games (civ 1 at least) it used to be that wonders ran out when ANYONE got the cancelling advance. but currently, it's when the owning civ gets the advance. And in this case, you only have it cancelled once the turn is doen with, and the effects used
          In theory, you could pick up integrated defence with it
          Yes, that really puzzled me - I had assumed that Civ1 rules applied to this, but only recently did the penny drop!

Comment

Re: regaining tech after a long war

Originally posted by smellymummy
            I imagine it would also be possible to save the great library until the AIs (at least 2) are way into the industrial age, while your civ keeps on consolidating your area with tons of military. Then for the final attack, take the great library and go from backwards people to technologicaly advanced

That's a great strategy!

Comment

Re: Re: regaining tech after a long war

Originally posted by Risa

That's a great strategy!
              It has its drawbacks -- principally among them that you haven't had a lot of time to build the infrastructure improvements that other civs have (cathedrals, universities, banks) -- but, yes, it can be quite the exciting "come back from last place" slingshot needed!

Catt

Comment

Cathedrals can be built before Education.
                Lack of universities and banks surely will hurt by a certain degree, though I think it's not too much. In normal games I seldom complete universities/banks before factories beyond the second ring of cities.

The major drawback I can think of, is losing the chance of building late middle-age wonders. And a lesser one is you don't know where AIs are in the tech race, you have to guess.

Comment

Be careful using this strategy. If you wait too long, then your units will be woefully obsolete and you won't be able to capture the GL.

Sure, 'theoretically' you could get all the wat to Itegrated Defense, but that would mean that you're using (at the most) Cavalry vs modern units.

Steven
                  "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

I did it on my 1.12/1.13 experiment as Sumeria. Being resourceless, Archers and EWs against Knights and Pikes. Ugly.

Captured the GLib... MWAHAHAHA!!
                    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

how do you know where the wonders are?
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                        how do you know where the wonders are?
                        F7

Comment

ta
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

its true that you will suffer a hit in infrastructure and unit upgrades. still, things can change if you get leo's workshop or if you save enough cash to rush things in later.

thats what i did in my last game. i conquered another neighbor and got leos workshop and then just started to upgrade everything, right in time for industrialization. i never did manage to get a tech lead though.

taking over wonders really has its nice rewards

Comment

AH if you liked F7, use F10 (spaceship) to see who is in the game from day one, if you care. No contact, not a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X