Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selecting scientific bonus techs - am I mistaken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selecting scientific bonus techs - am I mistaken?

Playing a Scientific Civ I read in another thread that the granted tech is supposed to be random.

When I get the 'We have entered a distinctly new phase....' screen I tend to go into the tech tree, then click on one of the starting techs before exiting.

Each time I have got the tech selected.

It could be complete coincidence (and I've just been very lucky,) but I had assumed you were *supposed* to be able to select your bonus tech, and was surprised to read it was random....

If it isn't just coincidence, is this an exploit/cheat?

Do you normally pick the same tech or change it around?

It's supposed to be random, or at least was before C3C. Are you using the beta-patch or the release version? Maybe a patch bug or maybe just coincidence.

The only time I think you are supposed to actually select your free tech is with Philosophy and ToE, both of which I think should be random instead, limiting their power.
    "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Well, it was in Civ3 (vanila), but ToE was too weak as result. It forced you to buy all skipped useless tech (situationally or overall useless) if you wanted to get anything worthwhile.

Comment

Back before C3C, the 'Bonus Tech' was supposed to be random, but generally defaulted to the one on the top of the Tech Tree. (Monotheism, Nationalism, and Rocketry).

I think that Firaxis posted some figures on this that it was technically 'random', it's just that those techs were something like 90% chance and the others were lower.

If you played it right, you could actually sell those techs to Scientific civs--they'd actually pay quite a bit for them.

Haven't played Scientific in C3C yet. Looking forward to it.

Steven
        "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Pre beta patch.

And no, I've changed it around (Monotheism, Feudalism, and Engineering each at least once; Medicine and Nationalism at least once each.)

Comment

Well, if it is so, then it is a good news. Getting random or pre-set tech was a weak point of scientific pre-C3C, and this made it very weak trait.

I wish you could have taken a free tech upon entering Ancient Era.

Comment

I think it's still random. I've seen several times it didn't grant me the tech I chose.

Comment

I've also gotten a tech I didn't choose and hope they change it in future.
                The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Anatole France

Comment

Yeah, it seems to be completely random for me. C3C, 1.12.

Comment

The more random choice of tech was introduced with a PtW patch - maybe 1.27f.
                    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                    X