Idea about balancing Statue of Zeus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea about balancing Statue of Zeus.

Why not make wonder obsolete with Monotheism?

It goes well with flavor, and still leaves enough time to build good number of Ancient Cavalries.

If, on the other hand, this solution looks to harsh, maybe adding ability to upgrade Ancient Cavalry to Knights could be added to compensate.

This would make it literally useless in AI's hand, since it doesn't prebuild, but usually only starts it with the discovery of Mathematics (which isn't very high on the priority table), and unless it catches a lucky switch, mostly finishes it already close to the medieval age.

It would favor the human player, as he starts to prebuild it as soon as he spots ivory.

Comment

Yes, that's true.
      Although it's a key to determine how much late AI starts to build it.

If it's not too late, fix could actually work.

P.S.
      Any other good suggestions for a fix?

Comment

Is it broken? Who cares what the AI does, we are going to beat the AI anyway.

Why can't Firaxis program the AI to play the game if that is a problem.

This whole idea that you have to supress any concept that the AI can't use as well as the human sucks. It is why the game is so boring now.

Of course this idea wasn't too swift but still the Firaxis folks are trying for a change.

Comment

SoZ isn't broken, therefore no fix is required.
          "Got the rock from Detroit, soul from Motown"
          - Kid Rock "American Badass"

Comment

It's only broken for a small percentage of the civ-playing population; SP/Emperor+ difficulty/Non-AP, where techs take a long time to research, and therefore the SoZ has time to crank out hundreds upon hundreds of units. The rest of the time: MP, Below emperor SP play, and any AP play, the SoZ isn't broken at all.

I respectfully submit that while the corruption problem affects everyone, "fixing" the SoZ for this subset of players is a bit much.

In the typical MP ladder community, the SoZ is sometimes not built simply because it goes obsolete too soon - or doesn't produce fast enough! The SoZ's "broken" nature is very situational to your playing style.
            Friedrich Psitalon
            Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
            Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Sorry Fried, but I don't even think it's broken in these situations. My experience has been that in SP Emperor+ games, tech actually moves MUCH faster than at lower levels (at least for the AI). If your SoZ is able to crank out 100's of units before it goes obsolete, then you're probably way behind on tech anyway. If this is the case, the SoZ isn't going to save you.

Leave the SoZ alone people! This is one thing that doesn't need to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                P.S.
                Any other good suggestions for a fix?

Comment

Fried, MotownDennis is right. Fire up a SP Deity game and see for yourself how the tech rate compares to Regent.

In fact, the converse of your point is true: the Statue of Zeus is too powerful for the human on the lower levels, and too powerful for the AI on the higher levels (since they're the only ones that have a realistic shot at using it).

I would fix the State of Zeus by: 1) removing the Ivory requirement, 2) increasing the Shield cost to 300, and 3) taking away the +1 HP to Ancient Cavalry. Then we would have a perfectly balanced yet still interesting Wonder.

Dominae
                  Last edited by Dominae; January 5, 2004, 21:32.
                  And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

I know there has been a lot of debate about the ivory requirement, but I rather like it. It adds a little more flavor to the game.

In fact, I wish there were other Wonders that required resources. Make it so that each luxury resource has a particular Wonder that requires it. This way, no one luxury resource is so much more important than any other. That's my only problem with the ivory requirement - it makes ivory THE luxury resource to have.

Comment

I think the problem with Zeus is more a problem with Ancient Cavalry. They are arguably the best military unit in the game, and they are allotted by the pure luck of having Ivory. You can build it on Sid if you get the right start, and can't build it on Chieftain with the wrong one.

France or Carthage can have them first tech into the game, most of the time you only need to research 2 techs (even if you have to trade for Masonry and/or Alphabet) and they are useful even when Knights show up. That gives you 40-50 turns most of the time, 8-10 AC, for 200 shields. Basically the best unit in the game costs ~20 shields? Then you get a decent unit for the next 40-50 turns, for free.

I say make them 2/2/2 or 3/1/1, no extra hp's, and it would be balanced.

Comment

Re: Idea about balancing Statue of Zeus.

Originally posted by player1
                        Why not make wonder obsolete with Monotheism?
                        Makes historical sense.

Comment

What if you programmed the AI that gets it to go for a 20000 cultural win?

Comment

Originally posted by MotownDennis
                            If your SoZ is able to crank out 100's of units before it goes obsolete...
                            Huh?

I don;t think it's broke... just adds to the dominance sweepstakes.

Yeah, so maybe you or some potential KAI might have ivory.

You might get a lucky hut Settler. Or you might have a sh*tload of cows instead... or some rare strategic resource... or some key bottlenecks.

So be it. Play on.
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                              This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

Comment

Working...
                              X