No announcement yet.

Missile Mayhem!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MattPilot SS-25 SICKLE comes to mind at the time.Oh and scuds are tactical missiles.I can tell the diference,thank you very much
    Devout Believer of the Invisible Pink unicorn

Comment

oki, i give it to ya, they are Intercontinental, but the Topol's range is only 10000Kilometers. And the Sickle has the same range. (quick reference: http://www.wonderland.org.nz/rass.htm)

With these ICBM's you could reach the USA (another continent) from russia, thus designated intercontinental. So yes, you are right. Forgive me.

However, in the game we are dealing with 'strike anywere' ICBMs, and as i recall, those are so big they can only be stored in Missile silos. I believe the earths radius at the equator is somewhere around 45-46k kilometers ??

Comment

yes you are right,a strike anywhere icbm would be the size of a "usual" space rocket,but they can still be moved around.But since civ3 units are veeeeeeery loosely based on real world ones.....
        Still they should be rebased ingame,if not for any other purpose then because i hate searching every city on my huge maps to find the damned things!

Comment

or to be even more realistic,why cant we have a missile silo built as a worker action and have them lauch ONLY from silos?

Comment

i hate searching every city on my huge maps to find the damned things!

No need to do that searching:

Use your F3, hover over the ICBM (or any unit) and it shows you where it is on the minimap. Click on the desired unit on the F3 and the F3 closes, zooming onto it.

Comment

The earth's equatorial radius is 6,378.16 km, and it's polar radius is 6,356.78 km. That means the furthest distance between two points on the earth's surface, as measured along the earth's surface, is very slightly over 20,000 km (20,037) - not surprising given that the definition of the meter originally came from having the circumference of the earth defined as 40,000 km. (back when they thought it was more spherical than it is). So a missle with a range of 20,000 km can hit essentially any point on the earth's surface (ignoring problems with moving towards the poles). 10,000 km range can hit anywhere within one hemisphere.

Comment

another missle...
                What's the use of cruise missles? Or in other words, does anyone use them a lot?
                don't worry about things you have no influence on...

Comment

Cruise missiles are very useful in certain roles - or at least they used to be. They keep your coasts clear when your navy is otherwise engaged - shore-based artillery (or bombers) reduce enemy ships to 1 or 2 hp, and then a cruise missile sinks it. Since I haven't managed to start a conquests game yet, I can't remember what the changes are with lethal bombardment - if planes now have it vs ships, then that's one use of cruise missiles greatly reduced. Pre-conquests they had an additional job of being able to take defenders out of cities - useful since bombardment would hit either units, improvements or population, while cruise missiles only hit units - so they were good for capturing cities intact if you needed some kind of bombardment to take out or weaken the toughest defenders. With the changes to bombardment, this role is largely gone too.

Comment

i'm sorry vultur - your right I did mean the "circumference" to be around that size. Must be the language barrier
                    thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

The circumference of the earth at the equator is huge matt much more than 45-50 km. Some countries on the equator are much larger than that....I aint picking on u dont get me wrong so please dont get mad i just want to get the rite info across thats all....

Comment

A Suggestion I always favored was giving ICBM'S and tactical nukes different strength characteristics....I felt ICBM's should be much harder to produce for the reason that they would practically incinerate n vaporise a city rite off the map, whilst tactical nukes could remain the strength of current nukes in the game. This would make nuclear war a much more trickier business...To increase the fun factor for us all i would love to see a new nuclear animation of the exploding such as a red ball of fire expanding and then reaching to the sky in a dirty cloud.....slowing down the current explosion with some added effects could do the trick...

Comment

no worries tysnder - i ain't mad

notice though that i said 45-46k (notice the 'k'). I suppose vulture got it right with his 40k, though i can't give any hard number since i don't know the exact number

Comment

Working...
                          X