No announcement yet.

Opinions about cruise missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise missiles are a good defense for a very large empire. You can base missiles wherever, and all of them can be brought to bear on a target immediately, whereas bombers have to be rebased, and ships just take lots of time getting places.

For dealing with stacked ships though, Tactical Nukes are often more cost effective, especially since you can't pollute the ocean.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Nukes are sweet for hitting a stack of ships. That is if they are a few tiles away from land.

Comment

sounds like a good plan, but does the ai treat nukes on sea like they do on land?

I mean, even though you may wipe out a stack of ships, won't you soon find the whole world at war with you?

Doesn't it do more harm than good in the long run?

(I never nuked the sea, that is why I ask this)
        While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1

Useless is a bit harsh, but not required is about right. The small value they had before C3C was reuced even farther with lethal bombardment.
          You can load them onto Nuke Subs though, right?

Comment

I don't think so (unless they've changed things).

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473
              sounds like a good plan, but does the ai treat nukes on sea like they do on land?

I mean, even though you may wipe out a stack of ships, won't you soon find the whole world at war with you?

Doesn't it do more harm than good in the long run?

(I never nuked the sea, that is why I ask this)
              If I am in the game where I have nukes there will be either only one other civ and 1 or 2 OCC civs or I will be just goofy off.
              IOW I don't have to worry about them declaring war.

That is what in fact is going on now. China and I are at war, I have nukes they don't. Two civs haved one city each and declare war after I nuke China's ships. I nuke each of the two civs for laughs. Now they have one city and 1 pop on a two or three tile island, covered with orange junk.

Comment

Just go to Editor and make a Cruise Missile with Stealth Attack and Precision Bombing ability like real CM got.
                I think you will like this weapons.

Comment

I like to have one or two to bolster coastal defences.

And they also have the potential to defend less remote island outposts before a lot of airports have been built.

Although I find I usually finish the game with the ones I built unused.

They are a good unit for transfering shields from fully developed core cities to the border cities still building.

Comment

In the games I've played usually when a nuke gets used, there's a situation of world war going on already, with me either allied or at war with every other country. Besides if anyone gets mad, they find themselves on the recieving end of an ICBM.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I had modify rules to load Cm on subs and on AEGIS.
                      "...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum..." but; there is no time for peace, no forgiveness, no respite, there is only war.

Comment

I used to use them more than now. Since C3C, I haven't had a game where I could build many of them.

They are useful to take-out ships, but now Bombers can do that.

If you are facing superior type/number units, CM's can be useful to weaken enemy stacks so that your units can finish the job, but then again, Artillery is better for that because you can reuse Arty.

They have their place, but there's usually something better.

Steven
                        "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Looking at this from the opposite viewpoint:

What good are CMs for the AI civs?

Friggin' none.

I did an IC invasion on a superior AI civ... the dope burned off all of his 10+ CMs on multiple 4xInfantry Armies (not even concentrating on one of them), and gained all of maybe 25 easily replaceable hitpoints.

As a player, I haven;t had enough recent experience with them to comment.
                          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                          X