Doh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doh!

In my game as the Byzantines, I just realized, after over two years of playing C3, that for Scientific civs, libraries are cheaper than temples.

I've always used temples for border expansion... now I need to rethink my build queue.

Temples do give one happy face - don't forget that.

Oh, by the way, cathedrals cost less than colosseums for religious civs.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Well, not for all scientific civs.
      For a scientific and religious civ (e.g. Babylon), temple is still cheaper than library.

Comment

Even w/ reduced the shield cost of Libraries, sometimes Temples are cheaper due to the Happiness effect. However, if you don't need to worry about moods, Libraries should be first for Scientific civs.

Don't Libraries give 2 culture to a Temple's 1?

Steven
        "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

It's 3 vs 2.

Comment

Ah, yes. Thanks for the correction, Risa.

*steven8r also pounds head

Steven
            Last edited by steven8r; January 2, 2004, 14:20.
            "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

We need a name for widely held, but erroneous beliefs like temples make volcano erruptions less likely

I sugest Apolynism
              "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Widely held? This the first I had heard of that I recall.

Comment

I don't think that was an example of a real one, but rather an example of what would be one.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                    I don't think that was an example of a real one, but rather an example of what would be one.
                    Got me again.

Comment

Temples did make volcanoes less likely in Civ1. There wasn't a special volcano tile on the map, but any city on or near a mountain (you could settle on mountains back then) had a small chance of suffering an eruption every turn - a chance which I think was completely removed if you had a temple. There were other disasters that might randomly strike, too - disease (if near river, avoided with aqueduct); pillaging (avoided with barracks); fire (maybe it was the aqueduct that avoided that one? so long ago)... etc. Just one of the many things in the original game that seem to have fallen by the wayside!

Comment

Full list:
                        Volcano eruptions, caused by mountains, negated by Temple
                        Floods, caused by rivers, negated by City Walls
                        Piracy, caused by oceans, negated by Barracks
                        Fire, possible anywhere, negated by Aqueduct
                        Starvation, possible anywhere, negated by Granary
                        Earthquake, caused by hills, no way to avoid
                        Nuclear Meltdown, caused by disorder w/Nukeplant, negated by Fusion Power
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley

Earthquake, caused by hills
                          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                          X