Sinning in Civ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinning in Civ

I've been meaning to post this for a bit, but have been occupied with holiday berserking (and recovery).

I referred to some horrible Civ deeds in the thread I did about Atari in the NY Times, but didn't come clean. Here is the true story.

My first C3C epic game was as Scandy, to see the change in traits in action, and oh, well, for other reasons.

Given the FP problems, I decided to use Berserks as reaaaaallll bastards, not so much to gain territory as to f*ck with strong AI civs... rape, pillage, and burn.

The screenshot below is of my first attack on the Ottomans, who were a truly scary KAI in this game.

This game, and what I did, made me feel UNBELIEVABLY guilty, enough that it has had me pondering: 1) How much this game sucks you in, and what that means in the context of gaming / entertainment (see the aricle), and 2) whether I need a Civ psychiatrist.

Here it is: I planned on trimming the Ottomans, and the other strong AI civs from the sea... just beating the ever lovin' cr*p outta them, not being strong enough to hold territory.

Starting with Istanbul... this meant razing a city that had the Oracle, Leonardo's Workshop (after a quick round of upgrades), J.S. Bach's Cathedral, and Universal Sufferage.

I did it. THE PAIN, THE MISERY, THE TORTURE!!! I still can;t believe I did that!

(but damn, in a roleplaying way, I felt 7 feet tall, in berseker mode, and let me tell ya 'bout bein' a bad *ss!)
    Attached Files
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Try the Middle Ages Conquest as Denmark/Norway or better still Sweden. The way to growth and success is slave workers. The way to VP's is to raze everyone else's coastal towns, kill their kings and destroy their civs.

I marched across Iberia (east to west) destroying the Castilians (2 3xBerserk armies). When I reached the Atlantic I had about 7 or 8 slave workers that would not fit into the available longships so slaughtered them on the beach.

How near to black hole dark is your dark side?
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Cerberus, you one bloody bad dude sometimes,,,,, on the beach
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

razing a city that had the Oracle, Leonardo's Workshop, J.S. Bach's Cathedral, and Universal Sufferage.
        I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that. That's just evil.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

As someone posted somewhere else once, it would be nice if there were a "moral victory" option, where you win by being incredibly nice all the way through! I suppose that is what the Diplomatic Victory is, in essence. Personally I'd like it if the other civilisations took much greater offence at things like razing cities, and if such actions might encourage them to band together against guilty parties.

Comment

As someone posted somewhere else once, it would be nice if there were a "moral victory" option, where you win by being incredibly nice all the way through! I suppose that is what the Diplomatic Victory is, in essence. Personally I'd like it if the other civilisations took much greater offence at things like razing cities, and if such actions might encourage them to band together against guilty parties.
            That's what the Diplomatic Victory is. Play nice, and you win because everyone likes you! (Sissies )

I'm pretty sure it doesn't already account for this, but I would like to see AI Civs hate you even more for:

-If the city is at least two eras old
            -If the city contains a Wonder at least an era old
            -If the city is a City or Metropolis
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I think the extra hate is too harsh considering that you already get hate for stuff that's not your fault.
              If the not-my-fault things were fixed, then razing a wonder or similar should create the opposite of "Linked Alliance".

In fact, I think it should reduce WW for the offendee, due to jingoistic/nationalistic outrage. Maybe for C4.
              "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
                Try the Middle Ages Conquest as Denmark/Norway or better still Sweden. The way to growth and success is slave workers. The way to VP's is to raze everyone else's coastal towns, kill their kings and destroy their civs.
                Was there an incident in the recent past which led you to this conclusion?

Comment

At last Theseus, your wonder addiction is cured
                  It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
                  She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

Starting with Istanbul... this meant razing a city that had the Oracle, Leonardo's Workshop (after a quick round of upgrades), J.S. Bach's Cathedral, and Universal Sufferage.

:vomit:

Comment

Did you Raze it, or Abandon it?

If you waited and used Leo's for upgrades, then you probably had to abandon it, unless you gave it back to them and then took it again, it which case you could RAZE it.

I'm not sure how much distinction the AI gives between Razing and Abandoning, but somehow I think that Razing is somewhat worse.

Originally posted by Cerbykins
                      At last Theseus, your wonder addiction is cured
                      Indeed!

Steven
                      "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

One other thought:

It seems that (at least in Theseus' hands) Berzerks retain their utility well into the next age!

Pure

Steven
                        "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
                          How near to black hole dark is your dark side?
                          You seem perfectly normal to me.
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

The only sin in Civ is letting the AI take advantage of you.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Not much point keeping it if there's a chance it will flip back anyway, costing you your entire garrison and then a bunch more units and a whole lot of time to transport them over when you return for the revenge attack.

Deep inside enemy territory, there is little utility in retaining cities just for the wonders, IMHO.

The only exception I believe is when it is the start of a prolonged campaign to take over their territory...but in this case it seems your Beserk's are of the "rape and pillage and get home in time for tea" type!
                              So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                              Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Working...
                              X