No announcement yet.

Do we need to restore courage to barbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we need to restore courage to barbs?

I am wondering if it maybe time to buck these puppies up a bit.
    I sent an army of crusaders (4x) to attack a city. The city was size 2 and had three unit (warrior/archer/spear). I got close and saw next to the city 9 horsemen barbs and 2 warriors. These brave souls sit there why the AI was sending its archer out to hit them.

They finally decided to send the last 10 at my army, that was on a hill. Can you say doom? Then I took the city. BTW no promotions for killing all 10 barbs and three Sumerians, I had the Epic.

In the previous game I had a similar stack sit next to my city (size 2 or 3) and I had two AC's in it. They never attacked, while I send a few more units over to take them out piece meal.

I am seeing more and more of this behavior. I know they want to make the barbs stop killing themself, but this is silly.

Yeah i've noticed that too. When you pop them from goodie huts only one attacks you then the rest fortify.

They do need beefing up again don't they. I mean now they don't even inspire fear into anyone.

Comment

I just played a game as the Sumerians. At the far end of my continent an Enkidu discovered a barb camp with around fifteen barb horsemen sitting in it. I moved onto an adjacent mountain and then attacked. Every time I took damage I fortified the Enkidu until he healed then attacked again. My unit went through about half the stack before dying. A bit pointless really.

Barbs do need to be more aggressive.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Is their any difference if you increase the barb settings?
        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
          Yeah i've noticed that too. When you pop them from goodie huts only one attacks you then the rest fortify.

They do need beefing up again don't they. I mean now they don't even inspire fear into anyone.
          Yes, I agree, they do need some work.
          It is pointless having scared barbarians in a game.
          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
            Is their any difference if you increase the barb settings?
            Not sure as I always use roaming. Even though fane7 gave us the road map to leaders with raging

Comment

Playing on Raging, it is almost as bad. I am encountering (on Monarch) bands of 6-7 Barbs in a camp that stay there, even with undefended cities/workers nearby. If I accidentally misclick and move a worker next to them they attack, but if I move a warrior or archer there they only attack after a turn or two of nothing. I have seen this several times, so it seems they must wait a certain period before attacking.

Strange, yes? OTOH there DOES seem to perhaps be a greater incidence of barbs (several turning up all at once in the one hut).
              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I do feel that the huts are more inclinded to pop barbs. It seems very hard to get any tech for me as an non-expansionist civ.

There was a time where the barbs would sneak around to do some pillaging, but even that now rare, just fort up.
                Last edited by vmxa1; December 28, 2003, 14:42.

Comment

Yeah I agree. Goodie huts are no longer really goodie. They almost always give barbs.

Maybe we've seen the beginning of the new pacifistic barbarian. Nothing like peaceful warriors striking fear into the innocent.

Comment

Sounds like another nice PtW feature that somehow missed the C3C branch on the code tree.

I've also noticed the extra wimpiness of barbs with Conquests. No pillaging, no attacking "easy" targets, just lame elite-generators.
                    "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Yeah like the stack of 10 pikemen that kept bouncing in and out of the border of one of my cites in the Mesoamerica conquest yesterday

#1, how did a camp generate -pikeman- ? Maybe I just usually don't have any camps left when me/the AI gets to new eras.

#2, those chickens could've taken my lone spear easily but just kept bouncing back on and off the mountain by the city - a prime attack point no less!
                      But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
                      PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

They should make the basic barb a Gallic Swordsman and the advanced the Keshik

#1, how did a camp generate -pikeman- ? Maybe I just usually don't have any camps left when me/the AI gets to new eras.

It was probably a special scenario feature... in the epic game they don't do that.

Comment

In the General Settign on the editor you can set the barbs to any unit. It could be the basic one or the advanced one. It is up to you.

Comment

Yes, I know. I actually tried that once, then quit when dozens of barbarians kept raiding my helpless capital.
                            Last edited by Kuciwalker; January 7, 2004, 01:50.

Comment

Is it possible to change when the brabs change from basic to advanced?

Comment

Working...
                              X