Going Barb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh damn. I forgot I couldn't raze.

However, I think that house rules should forbid 'going barb'. It is an abuse of the game mechanics and could seriously screw up multiple player on-line. Take the cities, and leave them empty while The Stack continues on. You lose a unit per turn, less if another player or AI comes along and liberates the empty city.
    Last edited by notyoueither; December 23, 2003, 20:16.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

What an exploit... talk about being a merc!!

And then what if you should change your mind! The Free Companies, was it, during the period of Italian city-states? John Hawkwood, et al?

Very creative, nye.
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Hmmm - this may require a CoC to keep Poly from going the same route in the ISDG....

(Great read NYE. )
        Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Just go Anarchy.

Comment

holy crap! Look at that stack!!!

That is an ingenous strategy!!!! wow.
            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

You make me sick.
              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Ironically, stacks that large are not uncommon in MP, particularly with accelerated production on. I've actually never seen that tactic before, but it certainly is an interesting one.

So when's the fourth, and non-near Christmas tourney due to begin? I'm back from vacation and hungry for some SP-wenchlies.
                Friedrich Psitalon
                Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Well the tactic would never work in an elim, but in elim you cant anbandon cities, and when if someone takes a city your dead. So this idea would not work in a elim game. It's an interesting idea but not that practical for the reason that u cannot produce any more units.
                  Citizen of the Apolyton team in the ISDG
                  Currently known as Senor Rubris in the PTW DG team

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
                    Just go Anarchy.
                    He mentioned that he stopped research after Iron Working and Horseback Riding, so I doubt he had another government. You may only go into anarchy if you have another government to switch to. So he was basically screwed, as even if you had captured the city with the Great Library the game would have figured support costs and chopped away at his stack before he was given the option of changing governments. I had a stack of a knights ready for just that instance and planned to take him out the turn he got hit by the support ax.
                    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Swissy
                      I had a stack of a knights ready for just that instance and planned to take him out the turn he got hit by the support ax.
                      Ouch! That doesn't sound pleasant.
                      "Got the rock from Detroit, soul from Motown"
                      - Kid Rock "American Badass"

Comment

Originally posted by Swissy
                        I had a stack of a knights ready for just that instance and planned to take him out the turn he got hit by the support ax.
                        Even if you're running a major deficit, wouldn't you only lose 1 unit per turn to to 'lack of support'? If that's the case, I don't think that "The Stack" would dwindle too quickly. But you'd still be able to wait him out.

Steven
                        "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

I won't even think of it unless I wanted to lose with style and since I play single player I have no one to impress but the AI. I believe the strategy to be counter-intuitive. (and we haven't heard the end result yet )
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

That was the case, Vince. IMO the game was lost, but the opponent was late in coming to deliver the coup de grace. I didn't want to just quit, so I decided to try another way. A way that just might give a slim chance at victory if the RNG went my way big time.

I conceded the match rather than make him play it out after we went OOS in the wee hours of the morning. I did save a couple auto saves, and went back to it to see. The AI used his offensive troops to whittle down the stack steadily and mercilessly. I burned through his 5 or 6 best cities before there was not much left.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Go barb.

You need a nice, padded room

Comment

Working...
                              X