Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conquest included PTW, but guess what!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conquest included PTW, but guess what!??

Once again I got the very annoying "no cd found, insert PTW cd" message, as if I was a criminal. (the conquest works just fine, btw) But I want to play PTW with a roomate, using the Conquests cd.

So now I cannot play with my roomate who has PTW with the latest patch. We need the same patch to play, so that's why I installed it. Is there a "no-cd patch" to PTW or any way to "fix" this?
    My words are backed with hard coconuts.

this thread will be closed.

Links to no-cd patches are not allowed. And as far as I know, I have not seen one that allows you to play Conquests in the PTW version.

Comment

You misunderstand... I bought conquest, and that should include PTW, as printed on the box. Sorry for typing it so confusing.

I just need help, the latest patch ruined the PTW, because of a badly implemented copy protection.

Comment

Now I will try playing PTW with the latest conquest patch1.02, but I'm afraid I will still get that message. The computer let me play PTW unpatched using the conquest cd, but MP games don't work unpatched!

Comment

You can load savegames form PtW in C3C and they work perfectly fine, just with the new changes to corruption and the gpt bug (unsure of the last one, probably though).

So you may be able to do the same in MP - just use your C3C CD for one game and PtW for the other. If not, you may need to take advantage of that truly disgustingly good price for another copy of C3C right now.
          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I put my C3C CD in and loaded a game from the board that was Civ3 1.29f, PTW 1.27F and C3C. They loaded as well with the respective CD's ( I have all three).

Comment

I don't think this a 'no-cd' question.

ThePlagueRat , I had the same problem. PTW is included on the c3c disc, but it is difficult to get it working. Problem is, as long as you had PTW installed before you installed c3c then you can't get PTW to work from the c3c disc. Even if you can load PTW games in c3c you cannot save them(eh, you can actually, but those with PTW cannot read them, if you are playing a PBEM)

If you installed vanilla civ3, then c3c. You will be able to start PTW from the c3c disc.

I tried to get it working by unistalling PTW, then installing c3c but only managed to screw up my computer. Problem is that your setup may be a bit 'messy' after installing a handful of patches and then trying to unistall them.

My initial setup
              Civ3+1.29f
              PTW+1.14f+1.17f+1.21f+1.27f (well, you get the idea)
              c3c.

My theory was that if I unistalled c3c+PTW then reinstalled c3c, I would be able to start PTW from the c3c cd.

First try
              Unistall c3c
              unistall ptw
              uninstall ptw patches (now, this may be where I screwed up, if I unistalled the patches first or just left them alone thing may have turned out differently)

I also tried using system restore afterwards but it only added to the chaos by giving me a ton of duplicate files..
              I then decided to remove all things civ completely.
              First made a backup of all saves etc.
              Then unistalled everything using 'add/remove programs'
              , cleaned up more mess by manually deleting leftover files, ****inued by using 'registry editor'* to remove leftover registry entries. Rebooted system only to discover that logon took 15 minutes. Read an article in Microsoft knowledge base about how to remove useless entries from the 'add/remove programs' list. Did some more registry hacking, another reboot and Voila Clean system, no civ left (Didn't tell my wife as she would probably insist that the comp should be left that way.)

Then the best part
              Reinstall civ3+1.29f
              Install c3c
              Guess what, I can now start PTW from my c3c cd. If I want to I can leave the PTW disc at work now

*The 'registry editor' is a very powerful tool. You can really mess up your system with it if you don't know how to use it.
              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

you can still install multiple copies of civ3 can't you?

I did that before when I was running different pbem's with different patches after PTW came out.

I had one copy of civ3 on my C drive, and one copy of civ3 on my D drive.

Comment

You bet you can. At present I only have Civ3 v1.29f, C3C and two versions of PtW installed. A far cry from the glory days of Civ3 v1.14f and 1.21f, and PtW v1.14f and 1.21f!
                  Consul.

Comment

That is a lot of maintenance that you guys are going through.

Amazing dedication
                    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

With todays large HD, it is not a problem to have more than one installation. It is not a maint issue, since no maint is required for CivIII or PTW. No more patches will be coming out for them.

Comment

A Fix for this

Well sort of....

What you need to do, before Installing C3C, is to first rename the PTW folder to something like "oldPTW". Then you install C3C. At that point, you will have 2 PTW folders, the old one and the new one. Copy everything (that isn't in the new one, like save files, ect) from the old one to your new one and then delete the old one entirely.

Both PTW and C3C now work off of the C3C CD and you don't have to change them again.

E_T
                        Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                        Worship the Comic here!
                        Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

At last a simple solution
                          Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Simple BAH! Gotta have multiple installs.
                            Consul.

Comment

A very good idea E_T, I will try that one!

I might try bongo's solution with the registry, but to get the LAN-play to work I just need the latest patch, I guess... (?) And hacking the registry (which is totally legal, since it's yours registry ) is a quite tiresome job. Many programs use and/or mess up the registry and sometimes it's hard to know what to look for...

Comment

Working...
                              X