Napoleonic Mayhem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napoleonic Mayhem

I'm having a dip into the Napoleon Conquest, playing modest Prussia - and wow! Trying to work out who's at war with who, and by extension who to go to war with is quite a tangle. The F4 screen needs about 100 clicks per turn, and I still can't remember who's lined up against who.

In the first few turns about twenty wars broke out, and on some turns a whole string of peace deals would get signed.

So, I'm sitting tight and watching the mayhem, specifically endless Cossacks hurling themselves against first Denmark then France, while building up and hoping to jump in against someone - perhaps France, when the time looks right. I won't win - I guess you need to get in there from the off to do that and start notching up points, but its fun to just play to get a feel of what's going on and to start learning the techs, units, capabilities of each civ.

So apart from the F4 fiddling, it looks brilliant fun - and so much replayability with different units, traits and conditions for each side.

Comments, anyone - on this Conquest?

I can't comment on the scenario, I can on the F4. It needs to have some way to display all parties at once. With 31 civs now, that would need a table layout (see Warlords III).

I also got lost in games with lots of civs and could not easily keep track of who had what relations, with whom.

Comment

This is an excellent scenario, and it captures the "feel" of this era perfectly. Armies are VERY important, since they add an extra move to your infantry (don't bother loading cavalry in them), not to mention the second attack. The better units are so expensive that you really can't afford to lose many of them, and armies are also good at reducing the attrition rate. Definitely play as France at some point
      To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

In the F4 screen, if you hold the "shift" key pressed when you select all the leaders, you'll have all the treaty lines in there.

Fortune and Glory, here I come!!!.
        Indiana Jones
        Spanish Empire Civ for Civilization 5 (in Spanish/en Español)

Comment

I greatly enjoyed this conquest. Playing as Napoleon himself, I successfully whupped Amsterdam, rolled over Italy like a blanket, and then invaded Britain and completely conquered the British mainland. Vive la France! Huzzah!

Comment

Sure, multiple civs can be selected on the F4, but as vmxa1 says, it's only designed for 8 civs, and a table is needed.

It's turn 66 and I've just this turn taken the lead, having captured Budapest. Interestingly, as Austria gets hammered, it's score goes up as it fends off wave after wave of Cav from various civs. It just shot past Russia and France as I overhauled all of them.

Austria must be the obvious choice for Prussia to hit. No locked alliance, no sea, just next door - and do you always get bags of culture with conquered cities?

Comment

I have played and won this scenario as France.

The strategy of France is going to be different than Prussia.

But suffice to say, diplomacy is real important in this scenario.

Of course, I didn't realize that the first time I played. I took on every single country at the same time as France. But I still fended them all off

I'd have to reread the scenario designer diary for this one. I think they did mention something about culture in one of these scenarios. I'd have to check.

Comment

I won this one as Russia. I had a lot of land but a very poor army and infrastructure. Luckily I was left alone and built up for a long time. Around turn 40 I attacked Sweden. When I got my unique unit I attacked Austria. I cleaned up Austria and started a last attack on the Ottomans. When the time was up I had 35k points, and 35% population and territory. But France would have wiped my ass if they had attacked, stronger units and a LOT of them.
                Cort Haus: don't worry about points early, just build up at first and then attack one of your neighbours, (probably Austria, or Denmark if you can ally a lot of countries against France) although Prussia wil be even tougher than Russia.

I really loved this scenario, it has nice diplomacy and war aspects in it, very good scenario.
                Alea iacta est!

Comment

This game is screwy as the French. You can get military alliances with everyone against the Brit alliance, and they'll throw in gold and luxes. On emperor.

I like how the sides are not even unit wise. Makes for a different game than I'm used to. Canon is huge. Do people bother researching at all beyond the artillery tactics? I just go war time and unit unit unit, not caring at all about infra.

Comment

I like this scenario... I have played it a few times now, and am currently hotseating a game of it.

Highly recommend it!!!

Ok it is very different from my 25mm lead fiqure board games, but I am loving it....

CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
                    X