Warrior, Archer, Spearman Screens using 4roll combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior, Archer, Spearman Screens using 4roll combat

EDIT: Sorry about the coloring, I really could have picked some easier colors to read. Just read it by the direction they are facing.

Here are some shots showing a couple basic gameplay tests with the ancient era units.

All of the tests were done on a custom map with all terrain bonuses removed. No units were fortified. Release EXEs.

10 Warriors vs 10 Warriors (Regular Combat)

10 Warriors vs 10 Warriors with the (4X Roll Combat):

-------------------------------------------------------------

10 Warriors vs 10 Archers (Regular Combat)

Now 10 Warriors vs 10 Archers w/ (4X Roll Combat)

-------------------------------------------------------------

10 Warriors vs 10 Spearman (Regular Combat)

10 Warriors vs 10 Spearman (4X Roll Combat)

Helped with warriors, about even with archers, insane with spearman...

Wow, you barely scratched the spearmen.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

If it is representative, I like it. It seems to make even up matches a toss up and attackers going against better defenders, consistent. I like the idea that better units are more reliable and even matches a toss up.

Comment

what is 4 roll combat?

and I always have a lot of trouble figuring out which unit is which- this is why I have the option to show team color discs on.

Comment

poor warriors... they only got 3 hp of those spearmen...
          You saw what you wanted
          You took what you saw
          We know how you did it
          Your method equals wipe out

Comment

Go with four rolls and rebalance every unit in the game

Comment

Go with four rolls and rebalance every unit in the game ... by either (1) allowing decimal A/D strengths, or (2) doubling or tripling strengths;
              and adjust from there.

Then, when all the strengths are adjusted, have the 4roll combat an option, but players end up not using it but still have the adjusted units???

Comment

Er? Unless I missed, noone has said what 4roll combat is still?
                "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Wouldn't it be simpler just to square all the attack and defence strenghs?

It's more honest, has a strictly smaller effect and solves spearmen vs tank nicely.

You might need to rebalance the entire game with this. I've just been playing the Fall of Rome conquest and I know it would have been much harder with the 4roll system as I'd have had to wait for more tech to attack.

I know 3 digit A/D strenghs look worse but that would make things easier to adjust early on.

Comment

CV, read the Conquests Patch thread... it's all explained there.
                    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

It's explained in great detail =) we were trying out some fixes for the very random random # generator and one of them was increasing the # of die rolls in combat to 4. That's where 4 roll comes from.

The major things that I see that are unbalancing are

1) Promotions. There would need to be more consistently defined. ie, defensive units would have less of a chance. Otherwise your stack is going to do nothing but lvl up your opponent.

2) Iron. You may be able to do some damage with Archers (its similar to the Warrior vs Archers) but that's not going to help you if you are on a continent without Iron. Swordsman slaughter with 4 die roll. Legions, Gallics, etc are worse.

Comment

Ohhh, that sounds great. Can't wait till thats in the game, sounds like it would improve alot of things.

For the promotion stuff, what about making Regular the rank Barracks units are produced at? Dropping the non-Barracks rank to Conscript or whatever it is. That way its two ranks they need to climb to get to elite, and "Veteran" actually means Veteran for a change.

As for lack of Iron, i've got no idea. Guess it might be time to start building walls.
                        "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

2 roll combat.
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

fascinating

basically rewrites the military, early game strategies of civ3. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I like the randomness in the game now.

Comment

I would like to see the number of rolls as a user definable setting in the set up. I would like single roll to remain the default. Everyone can win this way.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X