Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you use Histograph and Demographics within a game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you use Histograph and Demographics within a game?

How much do you use Histograph and Demographics information while you are playing the game? Do they contain any information that is critical to your success?

Personally, I have no use for Demographics screen other than to guess how big other civs are getting based on size of top 5 cities.

I do have a use for the Power graph within Histograph screen. If my Power band is larger than that of another civilization then this is a sign for me to demand tribute from that civ. I think it would be better to see a numerical representation of Power instead of trying to determine the relative size of your stripe.

yes I agree. Numerical like the "score" would really help.

Comment

it would be best to have both.

it would also be nice to get rid of the inexplicable military service entry. it doesn't seem to measure anything...
      it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

I agree about military service. Even when it seems I have the largest military I'm often only #2.

I mainly only use it at the end of the game to take stock of my magnificant civilization. By the end of the game I like to be #1 in productiviy, man. factured goods and GDP. Although I can't rememeber the difference between man. fact goods and GDP . I also like to be #1 in land area and population. My approval rating usually sucks, so I don't care about that.

Comment

the stats are invaluable in a PBEM game, especially the demogames where there are lots of minds to analyze them.

Comment

Mfg goods, GNP and productivity are probably the ones I use the most. They are most useful in small games (4-6 players). Its good to keep on eye on who can produce the most shields or commerce so you can change your strategy accordingly. Sometimes you can roughly work out other peoples starting tiles. Family size works pretty much the same early on.

I keep an eye on literacy to make sure no-one is sneakily going for the great library.

Military service can throw up some odd numbers indeed. I use the powergraph to tell my relative power, but also use the military advisor to keep an eye on military might.

Overall this is not game winning information, but in MP you should take every edge you can get.
            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I find them of some value, but would like to see them offerred with numerics as well as graphs.

Comment

I think the reason military service has "odd" figures is its average military service per capita. So while a large army will increase this figure, the large populations human players tend to have drags the figure back down.

Comment

The problem with military service is that it is not really relevant to anything. I can only read limited information out of it, but would love to hear of how to get more out of it.
                  Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I think those stats are there largely to add a bit of flavour. I like the idea that even if I have the most whuppin' army out there, my citizens are all spending their time kicking back their heels and relaxing rather than being press-ganged in murky bars. The same with things like average life span, health, and so on. It just gives a bit of a sense of reality.

Comment

well, the pollution numbers have a very real value... especially for builders!

"hmm... somewhere in the half of this 256x256 map that i control, there's one more pollution..."
                      it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

I use both screens all the time. I like them, they add a bit of flavour to the game, as Plotinus said.
                        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

And that will be plus one for Alex...

vmxa1 and asleep, you mentioned you use the stats but you didnt say how they are useful to you. I'm looking for tips here...

Back to the Histograph : It seems like it would be so easy to just show numerical representation of power where score is when you switch graph view to power. Here's more on how I use the powergraph: If my powerstripe is slightly larger than a civ, this means I can extort 20-40 gp. If it is about 25% larger, I know I can get 100gp. If it is 50% that usually means a tech. I'm constantly extorting civs in the games I play on Emperor. I dont play any lower than that. If I play DemiGod or above I'm usually the weakest early on. ...

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000
                            vmxa1 and asleep, you mentioned you use the stats but you didnt say how they are useful to you. I'm looking for tips here...

well, in PBEM (or otherwise) it goes from mundane knowledge like disease=flood plains or marsh early on, gives tips about opponents land (if you are on one) to the more complicated GNP, manu, etc. I don't really care about these in epic games, as there are usually 15 other civs to deal with. however in pbem where there are maybe 7 other civs, you can sorta figure out how you are doing in relation to your opponents. Ok, say I am ranked 4th in manufacturing. I can move my work force around to see where my nearest opponents are, either by moving to more shield productive tiles or away from them. And in PBEM, since you know everyone's scores, you can sorta guess the positions of your opponents, and figure out how you are doing comparatively. I don't do this in epic ai games, as frankly I don't need to (pick on the most opportune target) but in PBEM games (especially the PTWDG) its pretty interesting stuff, and passes the time between turns. I learned from the masters, Dominae and Nbarclay, among others during the PTWDG, otherwise I wouldn't know what was going on. Did this make sense to you?

Comment

I routinely check the Histograph. For one, I enjoy maps...all type of maps. I have a Histograph of the world hanging in my office.

Similar to other posters, I use it as a gauge to determine who should I fear, who should fear me....perhaps even determining the potential of a cultural flip if I have a border city in a precarious situation. Next to a neighbor with lower culture, I don't worry as much...

If this was beefed up even more in Civ4, I would be happy with that...
                              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Working...
                              X