Mesoamerica - discussion and bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesoamerica - discussion and bug

I just finished Mesoamerica on monarch as the Maya.

Totally peaceful until very near the end when the Aztecs got a bit uppity. I built 8 additional cities and had one flip to me for a total of 10 by the end. I built several of the GW's, including Temple of the Sun (that one gives a courthouse in all cities - even if you don't actually know how to build courthouses!), Temple of Kukulcan and Siphan's Tomb. Palace of the Inca was in the Olmec city that flipped to me - very nice.

I didn't actually do any sacrificing at all. I tried this in an earlier game and I do like the noise - very appropriate. It is a bit disappointing that you can't sacrifice your own workers (they did apparently sacrifice criminals and other undesirables in RL) although that would probably make it too easy to get the culture win in your capital.

Silent hunters really make virtually all the other military units obsolete and are possibly a bit strong.

It is weird not to clear jungle but it makes for a different feel to the game.

The bug? I amassed over 7000 culture for my civ with 5 or 6 turns to go before retirement but the game would not award me a cultural victory. It played through to the end and then gave me a score based on the usual points. Has anyone else had this or actually managed a win on total civ culture?
    Never give an AI an even break.

were you, I think, 2x the culture of the 2nd civ?

Comment

I forgot about that. No, I was a few hundred points (or a few turns) short of double the Inca total. Not a bug then.

Comment

for some reason I did the same thing, my first mesoamerica game. except I lost, cause I was just hitting end turn, end turn, watching while the incans marched on my cities, just wanted to get it over with. pretty agitated at myself when what was supposed to happen, game over, didn't.

Comment

I actually did clear jungle in that game if I recall. I do believe I had the option of doing it. I didn't seem to be getting any good production or food from the jungle. I played as the Aztecs, but I did take and keep the Mayan capitol city. It was pretty much worthless the entire game. I went for a domination victory- and got it- so I used the land area it gave me.

Comment

You can clear jungle but it gives 2 food and can be mined (and possibly irrigated) so there doesn't seem much point.

Comment

I always forget you can mine jungle. Or can you? I think I saw the ai do it once. I always forget about that. I just normally have the habit of clearing jungle.

a mine in the jungle seems weird to me.

Comment

Jungle is the ideal terrain in that scenario; you can't mine it in any other situation, but there you can - think of jungle as the grassland of Mesoamerica. Idea is they rose up in it, so they can make the most of it.
                Friedrich Psitalon
                Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Working...
                X